• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lacquer-safe cleaner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Lacquer-safe cleaner Reply with quote

Hello All -- What, besides dish liquid, is safe to use for cleaning the interior tubing of a trumpet? I've heard of all kinds of acids, vinegar, lemon juice, CLR, Horn Flush, etc. I want to make sure of finding something that will not harm lacquer. Thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you simply want to use dish soap?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dawn is a tried and true tested degreaser. If you want to try something else, I would look into the horn flush kit. I have one and like it a lot. It is especially nice for flugelhorns, cornets. The blaster can get into those hard to reach places. When I ran out of solution, I made my own with a diluted CLR. something like 25% CLR to 75% water. Worked well for me and is a home chem clean.

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_367_1116
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason looking for something beyond dish soap, fine for maintaining already clean horns, may not be what I need to remove old, built-up plaque from a vintage trumpet. The main thing I'm looking for is something that will attack plaque without attacking lacquer.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start by having it cleaned by a repair tech for a nice re-set. Then clean it regularly at home to maintain it.

That's what I would do. Ask your repair tech the best route to go for a good cleaning that won't harm the lacquer. Vintage lacquer comes off way easier than the epoxy type used today:
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type3B wrote:
The reason looking for something beyond dish soap, fine for maintaining already clean horns, may not be what I need to remove old, built-up plaque from a vintage trumpet. The main thing I'm looking for is something that will attack plaque without attacking lacquer.

There really isn't anything good for this that a non-tech can do.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a vintage Schilke that was in otherwise good condition but obviously had not been cleaned regularly. I did not want to send it in for a chem cleaning or ultra sonic cleaning if I didn't have to. In my case the hard crud was mainly in the lead pipe. My tech suggested muriatic acid from a pool supply store but cautioned me to dilute it and be extremely careful. This did not sound good. What I ended up doing was getting a rubber cork from the hardware store and putting it in the tuning slide end of the lead pipe after placing the horn on a stand. I figured that if muriatic acid was going to work, I would first try vinegar. I then carefully filled the lead pipe with white distilled vinegar and let it soak for about 15 minutes. I was careful not to get any vinegar on the outside of the horn. I then drained the vinegar and use a very stiff round nylon brush and scrubbed the lead pipe. I had to do it three times since I didn't want to leave the vinegar in too long. By the third time, the inside of the lead pipe looked almost new.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I bought a vintage Schilke that was in otherwise good condition but obviously had not been cleaned regularly. I did not want to send it in for a chem cleaning or ultra sonic cleaning if I didn't have to. In my case the hard crud was mainly in the lead pipe. My tech suggested muriatic acid from a pool supply store but cautioned me to dilute it and be extremely careful. This did not sound good. …..

Wow. An instrument tech suggested that?? I have a pool, that stuff is nothing to mess around with, NO WAY would I use it on a horn.

Everyone is different, and it sounds as if you ended up with a clean non-damaged horn, but I don’t mess with trying to clean a horn dirty enough to need more than a standard dish soap bath, I take it (or send it, if necessary) to a competent tech.

Brad
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriatic is commonly used by repair shops to clean instruments. Maybe not as much these days now that we have safer things available to us.
That being said, I would never tell a customer to use it themselves. Way too much room for dangerous mistakes.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
Muriatic is commonly used by repair shops to clean instruments. Maybe not as much these days now that we have safer things available to us.
That being said, I would never tell a customer to use it themselves. Way too much room for dangerous mistakes.

I had no idea, thanks for the information.
I’M still not going to try it, as you mentioned, but now I know it is something used in instrument repair.

Brad
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLR mixed 20:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: