• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Differences Between Leonard Smith, Other Contempora Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Differences Between Leonard Smith, Other Contempora Models Reply with quote

Call me unobservant, or even slow to notice things (both are probably true ), but I just recognized what appears to be a somewhat major difference in design between my 1962 Leonard B. Smith Contempora trumpet, and that of the other, more "ordinary" Contempora trumpet models: the bell to leadpipe bracing looks similar to that of a Bach Strad, while that of all the other models look like "airplane struts" (very similar to the kind of bracing used on my Olds Special, or somewhat like that of the Olds Super model trumpets).

Has anyone else noticed this difference before? Besides this detail, does anybody, by experience, know how much of a difference (if any) the two different styles of bracing make in how each version of the Contempora play, perform, and sound? I would think there would be some noticeable differences between the two, but my only experience, to date, has been with my Leonard Smith horn, which has what appears to be the same lightweight, Bronz-o-lyte bell with a nickel-silver Kranz tone ring as that of the other models (my horn's bell is very responsive, the horn is easy to play, its slots are fairly secure, yet still with some flexibility to bend and alter notes, and its tone/timbre is full, quite lively, complex and colorful, and seems very flexible and able to lend playing it with nearly any style of music).

Is anyone familiar with any other significant, major, or even minor design differences between the Leonard Smith model, and the other Contempora models' designs (other than obviously some models were offered with, or without a first slide adjustable trigger)? If so, can you possibly list what any of the further observed differences are, plus, along with any related differences between how the different models' designs play, perform, and sound, based on those differences?

I'm very pleased with my horn and how it plays and feels for me, but I am interested to learn about the other versions of this horn, just to know about them.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: