• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

keeping the chops after sound-check or in 3 set gig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Trumpet players!
First time I write to you.First thing, sorry for my strange english.
Now, here is the "problem".
I find hard to keep the "chops" after a long sound-check.Sure I can play nice after, but sometimes I feel my sound less good than during the check...Same thing when there is a 3 set gig.Find hard to stop playing then blow hard again, then stop again, etc...
Should I take more time on warm-up before the gig or between the sets?????
If you have ideas or suggestions , thanks for it.
Dimoak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chops wear, from what I know, is a pretty common problem. When I play Pep Band, what usually happens is we play during a timeout or pregame, then don't play for a while until the next timeout or halftime, play again, rest, and so on. I also noticed that my chops kinda get "cold" if I play a bit, stop, and just continue this pattern. I think it's just an endurance issue. Perhaps you'd be well advised to add more breaks into your practice. Just play, take a break, play some more. Try playing the same piece so you can sorta keep track of where you're chopping up, as well as tracking improvement. Overall, I think this issue could be aided by working on endurance. Goodluck!

[ This Message was edited by: Dimoak on 2004-03-28 15:55 ]
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I need a long warm up for the second or third set
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to learn how to pace a long gig. The biggest problem I have seen in younger players is a tendency to overblow on loud passages. Quite common in large halls or when you cannot hear a reflection of your own playing (either via monitor or stand). There are products on the market to reflect your sound. Some of these hold a mic. You could probablyl benefit from using a reflector of this type.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOST important thing in the soundcheck is to make sure you can hear yourself in the monitor when every other instrument is playing at performance levels. If you don't hear yourself clearly, you'll shoot your lip in the first set. In the sound check, don't play in the upper octaves except here and there to test hearing yourself. No need to blow your wad early just to impress your band mates. They've heard you before.

If somehow the set starts and you can't hear yourself (the drummer is suddenly playing twice as loud as in the check), move your bell right up to the mic to hear yourself. If the sound man needs to turn you down in the mains, let him deal with it. It's much more important that you hear yourself. If your soundman sleeps on the job, what's new?

Also, when the set list is made, try to space the tougher parts through the night. Generally everyone (other than the drummer) will understand your request to move things around, so long as each set's energy levels stays where it needs to be. You need to be diplomatic and offer alternative orders, but you should take part in the programming to the extent possible.

Ciao,

Dave
rafael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informations.
See U
rafael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: