• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Success at last

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would share my recent success with BE.

As some of you may know, I broke my jaw about 9 months ago, and could not play for about 3 months. When I tried to play again, I basically was playing like a beginner again, with poor tone, split notes, and no range. Half of my bottom lip went completely numb from the injury, and has been slowly coming back - it is still a little numb now.

With nothing to lose, I went back to the basics on BE, and diligently went through it, one step at a time. Maybe I practiced 3-4 times a week on BE, for about 20-30 minutes, and that would have been a good week. I sounded awful for a couple of months, and then things started to smooth out. My tone started to return better than ever, and I could now play music again.

Then I hit a wall. Everything was great up to G on top of the staff, good tone, and great endurance - I could play for 2 hours hardly pausing for breath. As soon as I tried to play higher, however, my chin would flatten, the pressure would go on, and you can guess the rest.

Well, that persisted for a few months, never seeming to go away. I kept doing the BE exercises, never pushing past the G, as I did not want to reinforce the bad habits. I had a 'false embouchure' going that would get me up to double G, but the tone and power weren't there.

After a while, I began to notice some changes as my roll-in improved. Occasionally, I would be jamming away, and pop out clean high E's and F's, provided I didn't think about them too much in advance. I observed that when playing low I had a decent air-pocket in the lower lip, but I would lose that when I went over the G. One day, I managed to keep the air pocket in the lower lip, and soared clean through high C and kept going.

A little after that I observed that my mouthpiece placement was a bit off center, and experimented playing dead center. What I believe was happening was that I was using the off-center position to stop my top lip from protruding. Going to dead center again forced the top lip to use roll-in to control this. Within a couple of weeks my playing improved again, and I started advancing rapidly through the advanced lip slurs.

With the centered mouthpiece position I found that a downward horn pivot would raise my pitch by about half an octave, while relieving pressure on the top lip.

Over the last couple of weeks, Roll-out #4 has been topping out on the high E and G, and I do roll-in #1 and #2 starting on high C. I expect rapid progress over the next couple of months.

BE does work. My embouchure is very different from what it was a year ago, and it now responds completely the opposite to mouthpiece pressure, horn pivot, and mouthpiece placement from what it used to.

Many times along the way I have known consciously what to do (e.g., blow air pockets, minimise pressure etc) but have been unable to do it. The BE exercises have got around the problem every time.

Please realise that what I have been describing are the EFFECTS and END RESULT of the BE exercises on my embouchure. Without the underlying changes CAUSED by BE, the air pockets, mouthpiece placement, and pivot would not have resulted in improvements.

BE encouraged - BE works!
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Man, you have been to hell and back! "Congratulations" seems too small of a thing to say.

The way your mind works, I knew that you could do it (a little self-congratulation on my keen perception ), as your success is probably due to your grit and patience more than anything else.

Stunning accomplishment. Thanks a lot for letting us know, and for your continued insightful contributions to this forum.

Wow.

Jeff
dyeabsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Wow!
How did you get your copy of BE in NZ? I've emailed the BE website about pricing, but I want one right NOW!

Daniel
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

I ordered it through Northern Brass (if I remember correctly) who take credit cards. Airmail takes about a week - http://www.northernbrass.com

I live in Porirua, and teach if you are interested.

Michael
horn4praiz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Your progress is so encouraging - a friend of mine experienced a stroke and has been fighting to get his playing back to where it was. The next time I see him I'll tell him to get the BE book and go for it.

I just started doing the BE exercises this past Saturday and already can feel my embouchure changing in the right direction. I played a solo yesterday in church and really nailed it. I was amazed at the different feel of my embouchure already, even with just one day's practice!!

I still can't seem to hit the double pedals on RO#1 but I'm not planning to give up until I do. The RI's seem a bit easier. I can consistently hit a D above staff and want to go higher. I've been doing lip clamp squeaks all day long! HA!

Bert
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear that my story has been an inspiration. The human body and mind is capable of so much, even after severe illness or injury, and there are plenty of trumpet players who have come back from worse situations than me. At least with trumpet you only need one hand to play - if your friend was trying to play piano or sax again the hill would be a lot steeper. And you can play trumpet out of one side of your face if you have to.

I remember a guy who played tenor horn in a brass band I was in about 25 years ago. He was a printer, and one day got too close to the print drum, and his whole arm got dragged in. Basically broke every bone in his arm, and stripped the muscles and tendons off as well. He survived, was operated on numerous times, and eventually regained some individual use of his fingers on his right hand, and started playing again. His finger speed and coordination was never the same as before, but when the soul wants to play, music will come out one way or another.

Keep up your church playing - in my experience there is no better place to play a trumpet.

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: