• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

hummel recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of a website where i can download an mp3 of the hummel concerto? thx.
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, whenver possible, it is best to support your fellow trumpet players and purchase a recording...especially one of a work so easy to find. This is not brittany spears.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite fond of Wynton's recordings of the Hummel. He has one called the London Concert that is very good.. then there is another one.. not sure what it is called... but it has a close up of Wynton on the front and he is holding his Schilke E flat and Schilke P54.. they have green felts on the valves.. and Wynton looks quite young... maybe someone knows the name of that album?
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard Wynton's version, but it would be hard for me to comprehend anyone playing it better than Maurice Andre.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other Wynton one is called Trumpet Concertos. In my opinion that one is no where near as good as the London Concert of his. I just bought a Niklas Eklund recording which is superb. Took over as my favorite recording of the piece that I have heard so far. You can hear the whole piece form the naxos website. Go to http://www.hnh.com. They make it a little distorted so you won't be tempted to record it from their audio but it still gives you a pretty good idea. Happy Playing!!
Adam Metzler
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the title of the CD! I own it! Oh, and the recording is AWESOME!

On the side, it says: Trumpet Concertos * Marsalis

On the front, it says
Classical Debut Recording
WYNTON MARSALIS
Haydn/Hummel/L.Mozart
Trumpet Concertos
RAYMOND LEPPARD
National Philharmonic Orchestra

If you go to Amazon.com, you will definately find it! That's where I bought it.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The London Concert recording is probably a better buy than the 'Trumpet Concertos' CD, as it features an older, more experienced Wynton.

I certainly like the London Concert CD.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton's is very good but, I think Maurice Andre's is amazing...His is probably my favorite. Armando Ghitalla's is great too, and it's in the key of concert E... Also one I've heard was excellent but still haven't checked out (I probably should) Hakkan Hardenberger's
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find it at your local library, I rented the London Concert CD and burned it and then returned it.
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the beauty of music. You can ask a question as to the best recording of something, and get several different answers!

Why not get ALL of the recordings that have been suggested? Or even more? The point is, dont just settle on one recording as being the definitive one. Sure we all have our favs, but be as well rounded as you can, and listen to several recordings of the Hummel before you perform it. You may learn that you like something that Wynton does in one aspect, but like what Maurice Andre does in another.

This is how we learn to become musicians!

I happen to really like the Ghitalla recording, but also like Reinhold Freidrich's recording done on a keyed trumpet. Check it out! It will give you a new perspective on the work having heard it done on the intended instrument. I also have a great bootleg of Dave Hickman performing the Hummel that is pretty amazing! Too bad he never recorded it.

John

PS - If you really want to know how to perform Hummel, listen to some of his piano works. Great stuff!
Shires Artist
Tromba Mundi
Summit Brass
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year when Summit Brass was at ASU, Dave played the Hummel for a master class. It was after a student had played the second movement and Tim Morrison was working with her on it (it was Morrison's Master Class). Ray Mase and Allen Dean were there, all chipping in ideas. Dave just casually walked to his office, pulled that keyed bugle off the wall (the one Gerry Endsley made for him, held together with tape) and came back to just knock every one over. He just basically performed the entire work, giving a running comentary as he went. It was an amazing performance. Ray, Allen and Tim just sat back and enjoyed it.
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question the dedication, sincerity, and integrity of a trumpet player who "borrows and burns" one of the two STAPLES of trumpet repertoire. If you want this art to survive...support them and spend 15 bucks for the love of god. Even better pay to go hear it live.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote here for keyed trumpet (please note - keyed trumpet, not keyed bugle - different instruments) recordings. When I first heard Crispian Steele-Perkins play the Hummel on one of these instruments (live) it completely changed the way I thought about the piece. The timbre of the keyed trumpet is very different from the Eb/E trumpets we are used to hear this piece performed on.
Whenever I am working at this piece with any student I ensure that they listen to at least a couple of versions, making sure one of them is on a keyed trumpet (either Crispian's or Reinhold Friedrich's). Many of them prefer the keyed trumpet versions.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - why is this in Fundamentals, not Recordings?

I know that the Hummel is part of our fundamental literature, but if you are looking for decent recordings, I would have thought that if you placed it in the right place you might get a better response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: