• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It can happen to You...playing (Auf der Buhne)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trombaclassics

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the trumpet when I was about 12 years old. My father was the first trumpet of the Hungarian State Opera for 30 plus years. When I was 15 years old he gave me a chance to play 2-3-4th trumpet parts in operas next to him. Boy was I a happy student...!
In the summer time we had summer concerts, and operas in the park, and one day Bizet's Carmen was on the program. As you all know there is this wonderful trumpet solo backstage which is immediately repeated in the orchestra.... so I begged my father to let me play it. Finally he agreed but he said "if you screw it up I kill you..." So I played the darn thing millions of time, and finally the moment arrived...!
The open summer theater was in the City of Szeged's beautiful island surrounded with trees and a park..etc "They" put me backstage and in the evening I was in a complete darkness among the trees. An assistant conductor was within my view with lights on him, so I could see him very well. He came over several times and asked me if I could see him. He was more nervous than I was. The trumpet call is so simple I did not need the music, and after playing it over and over again I felt confident I'll be all right...!
...So I heard the music and got ready to play. I let the water out of the instrument, made sure everything was OK, and I started the trumpet signal ( I was so in it that I forgot to pay attantion to the assistant conductor) ....as I was in the middle of it I heard some noise behind me; a security guard ran over to me and knocked the trumpet out of my hand, screaming at me and telling me ..."what the hell do you think you're doing you jerk don't you know there is an opera in progress.."
"Yeh," I said, streched out on the ground, ..."and I'm a part of it you jerk...now we are both dead..." The assistant conductor was so mad he ran over and with a masterful punch knocked out the security guard. Boy was I glad because that is what I wanted to do...! Now you can imagine my poor father's embarrassment in front of his colleagues and the conductor....He couldn't wait to get his hands on me...! Luckily the other brass players - buddies of his - figured out that he might do something in his anger toward me so they kept on eye on him....sure enough as soon as the act was over he ran out in a hurry and headed in my direction...! By that time I was surrounded by policemen and security personnel, and I told them to watch out for my father, because he would be coming soon...! So they did and were able to hold him down and explain to him, that the incident was not my fault... Now the conductor arrived and he realized the situation and took me aside and said ..."Frank I thought there was something wrong, you did it twice this morning at the rehearsal so nicely... listen I have an idea if you want to go along with it..."
So what he did was in the beginning of the next act as the light went on he walked out with me on the stage and explained to the audience what had happened...! "Now" he said ..."Frank show everybody how nicely you can play your part..", and on stage in front of 2000 people I played the trumpet call and my father followed it in the orchestra to complete the passage....I got a standing ovation... the security guard a black eye for a while.... and my father doubled my weekly allowance...
*** I have heard similar incidents with trumpet players playing backstage solo parts, so watch out for firemen, policeman and security guys around you and let them know beforehand that you are part of the musical scene and perhaps you will survive without someone bothering you while you are doing your job...!

Anybody else....?
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that one, Frank... it's a true "trombaclassic"!

Okay... this happened to me when I was a student at Eastman. A friend was playing his Performer's Concerto Program, with Orchestra, and it didn't call for trumpet parts, so I went offstage, and found a seat near the back of the theater, to listen. Immediately following the ending of his piece, I left the theater, and quickly made my way back to the stage door, only to find it locked... instant panic attack!

So.... I had to make my way back to the rear of the theater, up to the front, and through the other "inside" entrance. Now... my horn is still in its case, and the conductor is getting ready to start the next piece. I finally made it onto the stage, and was in my seat, as he was giving the downbeat. I had 5 measures to quietly take my horn out of my case, put my mouthpiece in, and make my entrance. Fortunately, I was able to do just that. I can honestly say that I've never enjoyed the ending of a piece more than I did that one!

Best always,
Bruce

Callet Trumpets
Lawler Trumpets
Eclipse Trumpets
Northern Brass Mpc's
GR Technologies Mpc's

www.northernbrass.com
(603) 421-9178

[ This Message was edited by: Bruce Lee on 2004-03-30 17:25 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: