• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing Trumpet w/ Veneers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpmarkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Playing Trumpet w/ Veneers Reply with quote

Greetings, trumpet fans and fellow performers. I played professionally during my 20s but stopped due to severe issues with my teeth. After multiple crowns, one bridge, and a complete set of frontal veneers later, I decided on a journey to get my chops back after receiving assurances from my dentist that I should be fine. Unfortunately, after three months of practicing 3-4 hours a day, I cracked all four veneers that covered my top front teeth. These veneers were nearing the end of their life (I've had them for 20 years), and I'm currently getting a new set of high-end veneers (they are more like crowns). I am greatly concerned and despairing that my professional playing days are over. Replacing my old veneers was not cheap, and I'm worried I will crack them in a few months due to the slight pressure needed when playing in the upper register. I've found tons of information about playing brass with implants and even dentures, but I've not heard from any brass player with veneers/crowns covering their top front teeth. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, and of course, I will mention this to my dentist.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about 'high-end veneers that are more like crowns', but from what I have heard, only crowns have the durability to withstand the kind of pressure to which you expose your teeth by playing trumpet.

However, I am not a dentist, and others on this forum with more direct experience or knowledge will undoubtedly chime in. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to give up hope, though.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your dentist doesn't really understand the demands of a brass player. I'd try to find one that does.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: