• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Mouthpiece Comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.G. SPENCER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Bach Mouthpiece Comparison Reply with quote

Good day,
I read recently on this forum about a Trumpeter who liked the Bach Megatone 1D so much that he was on his 3rd one. I was wondering how this would compare to a Bach Megatone 3E. (I believe Phil Driscoll used an equivalent to a Bach 1D and Kurt Thompson speaks highly of the Bach 3E). Also, how would the better of the two above compare to a Lotus Mouthpiece and what model Lotus would you recommend ?
Would really appreciate some feed back on the above. Thank you.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of specs like cup depth, inner rim diameter, and general functionality, the Bach 3E would be equivalent to a Lotus 3S or 2S while the Bach 1D would be equivalent to the Lotus 1M.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that Bach's numbering series and cup letters weren't based upon a progressive series from one to another. (unlike modern makers)

3C's rim shape is not the same as a 3D, 3B etc..
C cup between a 3, 1.5, 2, etc.. is not the same shape/depth.

Numbers are a relative relationship, and have changed design over the years, and the cups were originally proportional to the instrument - B cup for Bb trumpet, C cup for C trumpet, D cup for D trumpet ect..
While prior to computer guided lathing, mouthpieces were far less consistent from the early stages of the cutting tool to the end of its use.

I find the modern makers (Lotus, Curry, etc) have pretty solid consistency, they have picked a style and shape they like copied and modified to their and players liking. The best source of what the designs are is from the maker themselves.
Everyone is using computer guided machines now.. so consistency has improved greatly. Design modificatios are also readily available.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Mouthpiece Comparison Reply with quote

H.G. SPENCER wrote:
and Kurt Thompson speaks highly of the Bach 3E

I bought a 3E on Kurt's recommendation and liked the open backbore, but there was something a little "wonky" about it. I have since bought a Bach 3MV and like it much better.

Kurt isn't very popular here, but I do watch his videos occasionally for their entertainment value. A good example is his "Hawaii Five-O" video.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Mouthpiece Comparison Reply with quote

BreakFromTheHerd wrote:
I do watch his videos occasionally for their entertainment value. A good example is his "Hawaii Five-O" video.

Bitchin' rides. Oahu North Shore. Mahalo (thanks).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
towawayzone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some advice: don't listen to Kurt Thompson. I would know

Otherwise, you are implying one mouthpiece is "better" than another. They are just different and you should fine what works for you. If you are a student, a Bach 3C, 5C, or 7C would be a good option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: