• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting my lip back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taswalb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Getting my lip back Reply with quote

I am attempting to play again after more than 40 years off. I am 66 years old. I played through high school and played in a wedding band for a few years after school.

I hope to get back to a point where I can play in a community band. I know it will take time. I started 3 days ago. I can play on the staff with pretty good tone, and can actually hit a high G. However, I can only play for about 8 measures before I begin to feel my lip fatigue and my tone begin to suffer. So far I have been playing for 5 minutes or so at a time, but playing 3 or 4 times a day.

So, I would like to know what helped you most to build back your endurance. Or any other words of wisdom you care to share.

Thanks for any suggestions.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! My advice is to practice slowly and softly but do so every day without fail. Keep up your short sessions but gradually lengthen them and increase their difficulty as you become stronger. Use a timer and keep a log so you can track your progress.

It will help if you find a place where you can keep your horn on a stand and your music close by. Again, the more you can do make your return a daily ritual the faster you’ll get your chops back.

As for what to play, my advice is a mix of fundamentals - long tones, scales, intervals, flexibility studies - and melodies, pop, jazz, or classic, your choice.

Finally, join a band or two as soon as possible. It will help keep you motivated.

If this works for me at 80 it will surely work for you at 66!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! I picked up the trumpet 12 years ago, after a 20-year layoff. The biggest challenge was impatience. I had to be careful not to do too much too soon. My mind wanted to play like I did 20 years earlier, but my chops were not ready. I started out by playing about 10-15 minutes at a time, twice a day, and building up from there.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think with the mindset of a beginner, not with the memories of what you used to do. When you first started learning you learned over a period of YEARS and it was a slow process of developing muscle memory, learing to read, learning to articulate, etc. The good news for you is that you still remember how to do a lot of that!

I essentially took four years off and started my comeback last December. I started with Rubank Elementary Method Book 1 and started with the very basics. Use a metronome for everything. Eventually, I added in some Chicowicz flow studies. Then I moved into the Vizzutti Book 1 (long tones, flexibility, technical studies, articulation). I used Getchell Book 1 & 2, and Sigmun Herring 32 and 40 etudes.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race here.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing!

Quote:
So far I have been playing for 5 minutes or so at a time, but playing 3 or 4 times a day.

That's a good way to build up. Gradually add time to those sessions. You might eventually combine them into fewer, lengthier sessions.

Consider taking lessons. A good teacher can help you get started right, and figure our what to practice, and how to practice it, to help you meet your goal. That will make a big difference over time.

If that is not possible, or until it is, Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" is an excellent method to work from. It offers a series of comprehensive lessons that gradually take you from complete beginner to a very advanced level. Highly recommended.

Good luck!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: fundamentals and tone production Reply with quote

My suggestion is to devote plenty of time to develop good embouchure use and control, and tone production.

I use Greg Wing's 20 minute routine, and find it very helpful - play slowly and strive for perfection.
https://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/21407028/20_minute_routine_revised_june_2013.pdf

By playing slowly and maintaining best sound, you will develop embouchure strength and control. And watch the written notes - that will help coordinate 'seeing the note' and the embouchure feel and adjustment to 'play the note'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Getting my lip back Reply with quote

taswalb wrote:
I can play on the staff with pretty good tone, and can actually hit a high G. However, I can only play for about 8 measures before I begin to feel my lip fatigue and my tone begin to suffer. So far I have been playing for 5 minutes or so at a time, but playing 3 or 4 times a day.

Keep to the schedule you are using within the staff - play - rest -play etc.. Great if you can find study material you played in grade school and junior high. If you used Arban's, the duets are a good way to reconnect.

Just a couple of points -
1. Your technique will return much sooner than your strength. Resist the temptation to spend much if any time above the staff for several months. In a few months you might want to research the "pencil" exercise and Warburton's P.E.T.E. Used very sparingly, I've found adding this type of "exercise" to be helpful in building back strength.

2. When you find a community band - try to play 3rd chair for the first year.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the CTS (Compression Training System) by Larry Merregliano (not sure on spelling). An embouchure building device that is totally silent and can be used anywhere. Think of it as a body building exercise machine, just for chops.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the habit of only playing what's hard or at the edge of your ability. Establish a routine of things that aren't hard but that you can work on playing better. In all likelihood, your endurance will start to increase. When it does you can start adding periodic exercises that gently expand your capabilities.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow come back player who started from a similar position, I would recommend the following:

Purchase the book Embouchure Builder by Lowell Little. Start with the first exercise play a week then add one more the next week. Continue that until you are playing the first 10 or 12 exercises in a practice session.

If you are not currently make sure are resting a lot during you practice sessions. Play for 4 to 8 beats and rest for at least that long. Take a 1 minute break every 5 minutes or so.

One you have a little bit of stamina start with a beginner book like Rubank.

Start playing with a group as soon as possible.

Most importantly, find a teacher/mentor to take lessons from periodically.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: