• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Time for new horn ( one again...)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody

I think it's been asked a zillion times, so I will make it short : I mostly play in tp-section in big-band and community band, and some amplified ( read rock,ska) groups.
Which horn-brand would fit better. I don't need a specialized horn,though I once tried W.Marsalis heavy trumpet and thought the sound was COOOOOL , but I can't afford a monette, nor hold it for hours !!!
Thanks for your experience and time,
Jice

PS: If it costs lower than 1500-1600$ that's perfect .
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Olds recording? Great horn with the only little failing is that I found it offers a little resistance between Staff E up to high A after that it gives a great sound and before too!It is considered as a good overall sound.

With different mouthpiece you can have many different sound. I'm now using a Denis Wick Gold 4X (screamer model) and it just give an amazing Jazz sound (that would be also great for Ska)

An you could probably have one for around 400-600 on ebay!

[ This Message was edited by: Welk on 2004-03-31 05:56 ]
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick there is you play in a situation where you might benefit from a brighter sound in big band and ska, and a more traditional sound in community band. You might want to consider one horn with two mouthpieces - a smaller cup volume and tighter backbore for jazz and ska, and a larger more open one for community band, both with the same rim to facilitate switching back and forth. Check with Brian Scriver at http://www.grmouthpieces.com. Brian worked with me to pick out my mouthpiece in person and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

As for horns, a middle-of-the-road horn might be best, such as the Recording, which I am using in a big band. You might also like a used Los Angeles or Burbank Benge 3x or 5x model, which you could pick up for around $700ish. In new horns, you might consider the extremely well-made Schilke B1 or B5 (although I don't know how much a new one is; you can pick up a used one on ebay for around $1000) or a Kanstul 1504, or the WB1600, or any of their Chicago series horns (which are reproductions of the Benges), which would come in right around your price point new.

Good luck and post again when you decide!

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that my opinion is worth much on this topic, since I don't play in any of the type of bands you list, but I would suggest you give serious auditions to Flip Oakes' Wild Thing and the Tanabe/Szabo Chicago Brass Works line.

My impression of the Wild Thing, formed during its recent tour, is it's a great horn for jazz and rock band work. It seemed like a chamelion - able to take on whatever role I assigned it. Agility, projection, and balanced tone are the characteristics that really stood out for me.

On the otherhand, the new CBW horns are engineered for projection. I haven't actually played one, but I chatted with Rich Szabo for a bit at the recent National Trumpet Competition, and left with the impression that if I were playing in the types of bands you describe, I would definitely consider these horns.

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke B1 or B5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: