• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinion on Schilke B1 on Ebay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bought a trumpet off Ebay because I usually don't trust what I can't see. But I noticed many here have had success. What's your opinion on this auction? Is this a good price for a Schilke B1?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3714794742
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about him as a seller. The pictures suck and he didn't even clean up the horn for the pictures. He says "no major scratches", that means "scratches". Poor pictures can be a way to cover up poor condition. A two year old horn should look like new, this one doesn't, so I don't think he knows how to take care of a horn.

He has two feedbacks as a seller and one was that he did not represent the condition fairly.

IF he could provide high quality pictures, you might consider dealing with him; otherwise, I'd steer clear.

Dave
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
2toneTerri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I noticed was how he posted "Not a bach, selmer, bundy, callichio, benge, yamaha, leblanc, king, monette, conn, getzen, or taylor" at the bottom of the page. He is doing this mearly so when people are looking for a Bach, King, or whatever, his post will always show up. Just goes to show that he is trying really hard to get people to see it. I'd pass on this one
Tyler
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't post publically (yet) about this seller. Please PM for my opinions about him personally.

I will say that this is not the original bell that came with this horn. He listed it that way a month or so ago when it didn't sell then that it originally came with another bell. He's not listing it that way now ... not sure why. I personally think that's too much to ask for that horn based off it's condition and use. Schilke's do play though ... I would just search for another if that's really what I was looking for. There are other's out there, trust me.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this seller, but in general if you have any doubts don't do it. Caveat Emptor is the motto. I personally have had good luck with e-bay purchases, but have made them cautiously. I have bought several horns that I located on this forum, but arranged to play them and buy them in person. Never had to break a deal, but it was nice to see the horn before committing.

I recently bought a flugelhorn off of e-bay and really like it so far. It was exactly as described in like new condition - but I don't know if you can count on that kind of luck anytime.

For a primary horn like the B1 will probably be for you I would recommend playing one before you buy it. For me the flugel is a toy and if it didn't work out it would not be that big of a deal - but if it were my primary horn and it was a lemon I would be sorely disappointed.

If you have not done so yet, check out Jim Donalson's Schilke Loyalist website. It has great information on various Schilkes over the years, e.g. 20,000 range serial numbers, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: pedaltonekid on 2004-03-31 12:49 ]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this doesn't look like a good deal.
you can do better.

[ This Message was edited by: jamesfrmphilly on 2004-03-31 13:34 ]
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think http://www.nickrailmusic.com has one for $1200 used. I have purchased from them before and they are great to work with and very professional!!!

That is a better deal and likely a better horn in better condition! They gave me free shipping and a couple bottles of valve oil last time I dealt with them.

However, for that kind of money, I would rather try out the horn first.

Good luck,
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with doing business on eBay. You just have to enter into it with your eyes open and use common sense. Nothing hard about any of that. BTW, I would pass on this horn. 3 photos and not one of them is worth a damn. I love (joking) it when they waste a photo showing nothing but the case. Who gives a damn about the case? The photo of the mouthpiece receiver and bell bow is worthless too unless he was trying to highlight a flaw (which he was not). Got to admit that I'm suspicious of this deal. It could be fine but the seller screwed up in my opinion by posting lousey photos. Also, 98% positive feedback is okay if you've had 98,000 transactions. It's pretty hard not to make somebody unhappy with that kind of number, but this guy's only had 18. These are NOT good signs.
Larry

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2004-03-31 15:03 ]
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that looks really decent; you just have to "suffer" through a 9 day incubation period! (provided you don't get ahold of the guy and make him an offer before someone bids on it!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3715216844&category=16214

Still think you should wait until you've had a chance to go to the factory and "fly some of 'em though. Remember, when it comes to Ebay, trumpets are like buses... there'll always be another one along in a moment.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tootsall on this one. I don't know the seller or the horn but it appears he's trying to represent and describe the horn honestly. Also like seeing the 100% positive feedback. If I were in the market for a Schilke I'd probably go after this one. For me, though, I'd not go over $900.
Larry

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2004-03-31 15:26 ]
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to the Schilke plant on Friday, and this auction expired past that date, so, if the Schilke B1 blows me away, I might have considered this auction. But I think I'll pass. I saw the part about mo major scratches and that bothered me. I just sold a two year old horn and it was in near mint condition. I agree, a two year old horn should be in better shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: