• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Short bio of Vincent Bach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbtrumpet86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Short bio of Vincent Bach Reply with quote

Hey all,

I produced a video detailing the history of Vincent Bach from his childhood through opening his shop in Mt. Vernon. Additionally, I shared a few clips of me playing on a 1953 medium bore Bach Bb trumpet, and I interview Mark Hughes, principal trumpet of the Houston Symphony, to talk about what makes vintage Bach horns special. If you're interested in this topic, check out the video, and let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/_4wWe6XbrSQ

Ryan
Principal Trumpet, Alabama Symphony Orchestra
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the demonstration of the nature of a restored 1951 Bach was the best part of this video. The moment I heard the clear delicate sound at soft dynamics, I knew that was an M-bore 37 (though perhaps with the leadipe having been tweaked). The excerpts chosen showed off the player as well as the horn nicely.

As a short bio piece, it was also nicely condensed but still hit most of the key points. There are 4 things though that I would question the inclusion of:
1) Bach was Assistant Principal with Boston for the 1914-15 season, Gustav Heim was the Principal trumpet, so that appeared to be an error.
2) Josh Landress discovered that Bach was selling very unique (truly made just for his store) Besson trumpets alongside his mouthpieces, compositions, etc., so I am not sure the downturn was a severe as you portrayed,
3) Bach was still playing on radio and recording into the first decade of his trumpet making, as recorded in his wife's journals, so "giving up his playing career" might be a bit of an overstatement.
4) You seem to oppose your own thesis about the amazing quality of Bach's work when you end with such emphatic insistence that every vintage Bach needs to be seriously altered. Either Bach knew what he was doing or he didn't. You can't really have it both ways.

But overall, a great showcase for a nice, not entirely original, example of one of Bach's best regarded configurations among collectors and players, and a good synopsis of the background.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
rbtrumpet86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I have to say that the demonstration of the nature of a restored 1951 Bach was the best part of this video. The moment I heard the clear delicate sound at soft dynamics, I knew that was an M-bore 37 (though perhaps with the leadipe having been tweaked). The excerpts chosen showed off the player as well as the horn nicely.

As a short bio piece, it was also nicely condensed but still hit most of the key points. There are 4 things though that I would question the inclusion of:
1) Bach was Assistant Principal with Boston for the 1914-15 season, Gustav Heim was the Principal trumpet, so that appeared to be an error.
2) Josh Landress discovered that Bach was selling very unique (truly made just for his store) Besson trumpets alongside his mouthpieces, compositions, etc., so I am not sure the downturn was a severe as you portrayed,
3) Bach was still playing on radio and recording into the first decade of his trumpet making, as recorded in his wife's journals, so "giving up his playing career" might be a bit of an overstatement.
4) You seem to oppose your own thesis about the amazing quality of Bach's work when you end with such emphatic insistence that every vintage Bach needs to be seriously altered. Either Bach knew what he was doing or he didn't. You can't really have it both ways.

But overall, a great showcase for a nice, not entirely original, example of one of Bach's best regarded configurations among collectors and players, and a good synopsis of the background.

I added your comments to the comment section of the YouTube video so others that watch will get your perspective. I appreciate the balanced feedback.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great video! And your playing!!!

As a player that *mostly* play vintage Bach’s (at least Bb’s), I can only agree with Mr Hughes. My Bb’s are from 1943, 1957, 1972 and 1973, and all of them-with their unique characteristics- works better for me than any modern offerings I’ve tried.

Hat’s of for your great video!!!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, thanks for taking the time to make it and post in on TH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: