• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve Oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am sorry to bring this up, but I have quite the curiosity about Valve Oils. Currently, I am playing on a Kanstul CCT 900 and was wondering about what to use. I have been considering on purchasing some new valve oil because my old bottle leaks, therefore I throw it out. I am considering on purchasing Bells Super Lube (I know), Zaja oil (don't know about scented or unscented), and Blue Juice. I would like to hear your comments and experiences about your use of valve oil. Also, how long it lasts, and under what circumstances work the best. Thank you for all your help!
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Juice, and Zaja (citrus smells pretty good). I think both of those are good but I don't know.
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Juice and Zaja are both great oils. Bob Reeves H2Oil lasts for weeks but the valves are just a tad slower with it.
zackd05

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently got some clarks viper oil....its kinda pricey...like 5 bucks for a small bottle....but one drop per valve and youre set for a week
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetman in 3 viscositys........best ever...I have had horns with hopless valves that no amoutn of cleaning, polish. honing would get to work and 3 drops of this stuff keeps them going for weeks.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Hetman's Light.

Don't put anything that smells in your horn. Years from now you'll regret it. It never gets out of the case. Why anyone would produce scented oils is beyond me, unless it's to cover up some other smell.

Dave
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo:

#1 I just did some research on valve oils, and there are some great products out there for us trumpet geeks now.
#2 Spoke with Rich Szabo personally about Zaja oils, in particular the Zaja Blue with the additives like teflon, but not.
#3 Spoke with Nanette about Binak oils.

Here is what the bottom line is. Find an oil that works for you and don't mess with it. I have heard great things about Binak, Zaja, and PRO-OIL HYBRID 141-A7. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of these so try what is convenient, or go order them on line and use what works. As Rich S. said, "It's valve oil for g-ds sakes, don't geek out on me over it."

I'm using Zaja Blue for anyone interested.

Mitch "The LIP"
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's not "just oil". BiNak Pro doesn't evaporate and won't leave crud on your valves. And it lasts so long it's hard to believe.
In 7 months, I used about 3/8 of an inch out of a small bottle. One drop per valve every week, whether they needed it or not.
ValveMaster
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Al Cass.
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great success with Pro-Oil Hybrid on Kanstul (and Schilke) valves. This is what Jack Kanstul, Zig Kanstul's son, recommends for Kanstul trumpets as well.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Zaja Blue with the additives like teflon, but not."

2LIP,

I don't understand the above quote. What is with additives, but not? Does it have additives?

I use Blue, but now I am wondering, is it a synthetic based oil? I didn't think it was.

Thanks - Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2004-04-02 20:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2004-04-02 20:36 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Zaja Blue!! Great Stuff!!
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Winans (Dr Valve) sent me a bottle of "5 Starr Super" valve oil when he returned one of my horns that he repaired. I haven't used it yet. Has anybody used it? If so, how did it work for you. I just oiled my son's Bach 37 with it and will see how it works out for his horn.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
Pure Sound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new Kanstul 1510C horn with sticky valves by using Zaja, Al Cass, Holton, etc. Jack Kanstul advised me to use PRO-OIL HYBRID 141-A7 and told me that this is the oil recommended by Monette for his horns also.

I am now in the process of buying this oil.

Joe B.
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Just wanted to put some more details about myself down. I fear washing my own trumpet (I know its shameful), I don't want to accidently ruin it somehow...which I probably will. For valve oils should I wash my trumpet before applying some in? Such brands like Pro-Oil and Bells state the improtance of washing your trumpet before application. Is there much of a difference if I don't wash it? Thanks!
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter.. if you plan on washing your horn, then I would wait until afterwards before applying new valve oil. You should flush out your horn at least once every 2 to 3 months. After you wash it out really well then you should apply valve oil and slide grease.
flugle-me-elmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually just got some Bell's Super lube recently (I'm surprised you've heard of it...I think it was just created recently on the University of North Texas campus...though I could have my source completely wrong). The Bells is good, so far...can't say as to long term. It is interesting because the guy recommended to me that you spray it inside the valve casing rather than apply it to the valve (it comes in a spray bottle). It's new...but so far I like it.

my two cents,

Chris
pastbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang,
I learned repairing from a wonderful guy who went to the Conn factory school in the 40's. His main advice on valves was "always wipe down the piston before you oil". Do it!
Scott
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the info that was requested above. It can also be had at http://www.zajamusic.com:

Zaja Slide™ and Zaja Blue™ are new additions to family of Zaja Lubricants. They are the most technologically advanced lubricants ever developed for the music industry. Blended with TFBS™ additives to increase lubricity and protect all components more than any product available today. With the assistance of some of the biggest names in music and years of evaluation this unique formulation was created by professionals for professionals.

Minimizing and eliminating the constant wear and friction and their costly effects upon an instruments ability to perform have long been our goal in the development of these products. At Zaja we designed these new lubricants to improve lubricity while having outstanding anti-wear characteristics. That's why our specially blended micronized TFBS™ additives are optimized to enable our lubricants to perform their best in even the most demanding circumstances. By lowering the surface energy needed to operate valves and slides with our special additives, the coefficient of friction is greatly reduced. All lubricants eventually evaporate or lose their lubricating abilities, but when using the new Zaja Lubricants special additives are still present to keep slide and valves working. We have even taken into account the musicians body chemistry and designed these lubricants to blend and work well no matter what the situation.

Using Zaja Slide™ and Zaja Blue™ lets you realize the positive benefits of proper lubrication to help reduce wear, improve rotor, piston and slide function, as well as protect the instrument from corrosion and oxidation. Zaja new family of Lubricants with TFBS™ helps your horn play like it should.

The other item of interest, is that Zaja Blue, and Pro Oil Hybrid are Petroleum based, so don't drink them.. : )
Binak is Mineral based, lasts a long time, and you use very little (like 1 drop on each valve). The only bad thing that I have heard about Binak is that is has cleaning properties, and if you have petroleum oil leftovers on your valves, you may have problems. I am told that once you work through that by cleaning, and re-applying a few times, then your valves will free up and "get used to" the Binak product.

Like I said before, find what works and stick with it.

Mitch "The LIP"

[ This Message was edited by: 2LIP on 2004-04-05 09:39 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: