• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brasstache for cornet: important question

View previous topic :: View next topic  

French horn or euphonium brasstache?
French horn
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Euphonium
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Brasstache for cornet: important question Reply with quote

Arguing about horn history and pedagogical approach is cool and all, but I need an important question answered. I would like to use a Brasstache when performing cornet with my trad jazz band, because when else am I going to use it?

I had a Brasstache for trumpet. However, it did not fit the shank of the cornet mouthpiece. When I attempted to clip it to the receiver, the diameter was too large, and my Brasstache suffered catastrophic structural failure. Now I do not have a Brasstache for either trumpet or cornet.

Brasstache does not appear to make a cornet version. I am considering two options: the French horn option will be a more similar shank, I believe, to that of the cornet. However, I am concerned that the short length of the cornet mouthpiece will cause the Brasstache to tickle my nostrils while playing. Alternatively, I could buy the baritone/euphonium one with the hope that it will be large enough to clip to the receiver. Thoughts?

I look forward to the community's expert advice, which will hopefully prevent me from a time consuming and expensive Brasstache safari.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grow yer own!! And use Old Spice pomade a couple times a day! Only took me about 60 years!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Grow yer own!! And use Old Spice pomade a couple times a day! Only took me about 60 years!

No can do. I also run a thriving didgeridoo side business, and legit 'stache's draw blood with the didge.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most custom mouthpiece makers can provide you with a cornet/trumpet Brasstashe converter so that you can use the trumpet version on your cornet.

I prefer the one with the built in mouthpiece weight and Tritium night sights.

Keep in mind that not all Brasstashes are the same - while some swear by the early Chicago models, as far as I'm concerned the Burbank's are more reliable.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brasstache for cornet: important question Reply with quote

BadHomreSure wrote:
However, I am concerned that the short length of the cornet mouthpiece will cause the Brasstache to tickle my nostrils while playing.

You need to invest in one of those high-end Brasstache alternatives manufactured by the David M. Gillette Corporation. Designed using new principals, they feature a "constant itch center" that should minimize any tickling.

Unfortunately, they cost as much as a BMW 3-Series, but as Sir Henry Royce once said, "The quality will be remembered long after the price has been forgotten."

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brasstache for cornet: important question Reply with quote

[quote="Halflip"]
BadHomreSure wrote:

Unfortunately, they cost as much as a BMW 3-Series, but as Sir Henry Royce once said, "The quality will be remembered long after the price has been forgotten."

It is a sad fact about my wife's BMW that though the quality is excellent when it works, the ongoing repair costs do not allow me to forget the price.

Which is a grave Brasstache concern as well. if it spends more time in the shop than on the road at gigs, is it even a 'stache?
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Most custom mouthpiece makers can provide you with a cornet/trumpet Brasstashe converter so that you can use the trumpet version on your cornet.

I prefer the one with the built in mouthpiece weight and Tritium night sights.

Keep in mind that not all Brasstashes are the same - while some swear by the early Chicago models, as far as I'm concerned the Burbank's are more reliable.

Are there Reeves vs. Bach Brasstache threading options for the converters?

I'm anti-night sight overall. I'm far prettier on night gigs where no one can see me.

While the Burbank quality may be better, I prefer to vote for the environment with my wallet, and Chicago has better public transit options.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a serious question? If ir is, man, I'm not a DIYerbut even I can take a piece of paper towel or cloth and take up the slack. . . if it's serious.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: