• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low cost large bore trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about a horn to recommend - that has probably already been well done above.

I am, however, always concerned about the desire to play - if we can call it that; perhaps a better word is "blast" - louder and louder and louder...if there is one thing I despise about marching band playing, this is it...

IMO, a major issue in playing a musical instrument, and trumpet in no exception is CONTROL. You may think you have control when "blasting," but I disagree, and I think the quality of sound will suffer greatly as well.

I think that a player with a well developed embouchure who centers the tone well and learns how to play with good projection will be able to play loud enough, at least in terms of perceived volume.

If you have to play with a lot more volume than that - you need a microphone rather than a different horn...

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2004-04-03 08:50 ]
NespyCaesar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bluecoats are selling their Kanstul Trumpets. Go to http://www.bluecoats.com and click on Horn Sale for more information.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nespy,

Generally the Blue coats do a good job of keeping thier horns in good shape from what I hear.

I Kind of hate the fact that you have to put a deposit on a horn now that I wont be getting until September and know its exact condition.

The Col 103 is a nice horn from what I understand and is a extreamly large bore.I plan on hooking up with one of those guys at SCranton and see if I can play one.If I Like it I might buy it.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would jump all over that Kanstul Coliseum trumpet! I play a Kanstul Chicago 1070 which is also a .470 bore and I thought that it would be too big for me to handle, but it is EXTREMELY NICE!!!!!! It takes all you can give it, but doesn't kill you. For $400 that would probably be your best deal!!! If it doesn't work for you, you could probably get that much out of it on Ebay, so you probably wouldn't suffer a great loss. That would be my first pick.
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH-

The primary reason why I am looking at getting a large bore is so that I can play louder without "blasting". The Pride of Oklahoma prides (no pun intended) itself on playing with power AND musicality. You won't hear ANY "blasting" out of our marching band.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bit the bullet and I am putting a deposit down on one of the bluecoats old horns. I figure that for 400 it will be a good horn to play outside regardless of if it works in any other setting.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: