• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roller bag for horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Roller bag for horns Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a roller bag that can accommodate a Bb trumpet, mutes, and a large bell flugelhorn (6 3/4")

What I'm hoping for is something I could travel with, but for the most part it would be local gigs. I've seen lots of them but I'm curious as to your recommendations and warnings away from inferior products.

Thanks in advance,
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw one of these in the wild, and wow is it ever nice. Just what you’d be looking for, I imagine. They come in blue and silver as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-Triple-Trumpet-Wheels-BLT301T/dp/B07GZ7B5TP/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?crid=17F1RNUXGRGVR&keywords=protec%2Btrumpet%2Bcase&qid=1685982681&sprefix=protec%2Btrumpet%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-11&th=1&psc=1
mdiceman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gard bags. I have several including the one in question. I always do leather. They are a bit more up front, but well worth it.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those Protec cases. It’s a nice case built small enough to carry on, but I don’t think it can hold a large bell flugel. I wouldn’t even try to fit my Kanstul in there, and even if it did fit, there wouldn’t be room for mutes after I shoehorned a Bb in too.

I suspect that any case big enough to fit everything you mention would be too big to carry on a airplane.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. I've looked at both Gard and Protec online - both have some good choices. I have it in the back of what's left of my mind that there's another maker of these things that I've forgotten about.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by "travel" you mean flying, I think the Gard on wheels is too big for a carry-on. And I don't think there are any rigid sides to that case, so I personally would not want to place it in checked baggage.

The Pro-Tec, while it does have some rigidity on the sides...I wouldn't trust it in checked baggage, either.

Don't mean to rain on the parade of posts, just pointing out details.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Protec case. I used it for a trumpet and a flugelhorn for local gigs, but no room for mutes. I had to have a separate mute bag. I also used it to travel by plane from New Jersey to Illinois to play the musical Follies. I took two trumpets because I wasn't sure which one would be the best lead horn. The show did not require flugelhorn. I lightly wrapped the horns in bubble wrap. The mutes went into my regular suitcase which I checked.

The first leg from Weehawken NJ to Chicago I put the horns in the overhead. Everything was great. The second leg from Chicago to Springfield Il. was a very small plane. They would not allow wheeled cases in the cabin. They put it down in with the luggage. It was a 30 minute flight. I was sweating it like crazy, but it was fine. Same on the way home.

I think the cases are good. I would be comfortable traveling again with it but I would again wrap the the horns in bubble wrap.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Marcus Bonna leather quad on which I installed a removable wheel and handle set. It's technically right at the maximum carry-on dimensions and, if they insist upon gate checking, is sturdy enough to handle it. I would never check it as regular baggage, though.

HTH

Ben
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen an Anvil case that was used by Claude Gordon for travel - talk about a fortress! But really I will just be local with using this new case, and flying would require something more substantial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: