• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hindemith and Voisin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment deleted. All information will be compiled into a new book on the Hindemith Trumpet Sonata by Nathaniel Mayfield.
www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment deleted. All information will be compiled into a new book on the Hindemith Trumpet Sonata by Nathaniel Mayfield.
www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: HINDEMITH AND SCHILKE: AMAZING!! Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word of Schilke for the people of Schilke.

I have never believed the Sonata is absolute music as has been suggested. Then again, I don't think there is much absolute material out there. Anyway, I hadn't attributed that particular "story" to this, but it is good to know that Hindemith did indeed compose this (and thus, likely the other sonatas), programmatically.

The note on tempo marking is pretty interesting! But I still don't think it's possible to play it at that tempo. That does add another vote of support for the idea that Hindemith was quite concerned with the "feel" of the music, in this case, a fast, pushed, neverending chug. It doesn't feel right to me at q=92, nor at h=92. Somewhere in between; playable, but a bit frantic.

THAT said, Gil Johnson and Glenn Gould's take is pretty damn engaging!

Nate, you have WAY more patients and wherewithal than me, and likely anyone else on this forum. I look forward to reading your final article (final because I'm pretty sure you've written half a dozen different article with this thread!)

Thanks be to Schilke,
Aaron
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

So, I went through and deleted all of my messages on this. My posts were convoluted and not everything was accurate. I'm about 40 pages or so into this book I'm writing, and it's now quite organized. I'll try to condense it for an ITG article, but it's just proving to be too much.

I've found about a dozen new letters at the Hindemith Institute relating to the Sonata that sheds a lot of light on the timeline, and whether or not he could play the Sonata himself.

I'd still like to look at Rudy Nashan's old copy that Mager had marked. Also, Irv Sarin's copy if possible (or one that he edited).

It is still important for me to figure out the 3rd trumpeter at Tanglewood in 1940, and the full student section in 1941.

I'll need to check out the NYC Performing Arts Library and look for any Sonata copies there, as well as to check the program records of the Town Hall Concert Series, and the League of Composers Series. These programs are housed at the Performing Arts Library in NYC. I don't know how quickly I can get there though, and any help would be appreciated from New York trumpeters. It should be noted that AMP was in NYC, so there is the chance that Hindemith works were performed on these series prior to Pearl Harbor.

In the late 40s and early 50s, the Hindemith Septet was often played, and was very popular. This included a trumpet part. Hindemith attended a few of these concerts, so perhaps the trumpeter could have approached him.

I have to reiterate, that the half note tempo would have been a major question for trumpeters in the 40s because all of the editions were half note at that time. It was a question any trumpeter who played the piece would have had, so talking to players from back then is very important.

Lastly. If any college professors reading this would like to help establish when the English Version switched over to the German edition, I would need to search all faculty and student programs that included the Sonata from 1950-1960. In the 50s, the quarter/half controversy would have really taken off, but Hindemith was back in Europe until his final US tours in the early 60s. I've only searched the Eastman programs.

Okay, well that's about it. Thank you everyone who has put up with all this for years now. I've been working on it for 4 years, and it has been an amazing journey!

All the best, Nathaniel Mayfield
Brendan Ball

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone able to help me either view or provide me with a copy of Hindemith's manuscript for the Trumpet Sonate?

Many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: