• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New, dramatic pieces?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jBacon.04

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: New, dramatic pieces? Reply with quote

Hi, college student on trumpet looking for some enjoyable rep to work on in competition practice. I have very little experience with anything outside of the big ones (Hummel, Arutunian, etc.)

I just played Joseph Turrin's Two Portraits: Psalm, which I absolutely LOVED, especially the tonality of the flugel and piano part.

Some things I am looking for:

- 5-8 minutes, piano accompaniment
- Musical, with beautiful lyrical parts as well as ways to demonstrate technical prowess
- Something on the darker side would be interesting
- Piano part should be cool (I am also a pianist...)
- I am digging in to tonal music right now so nothing crazy, but I also really enjoy advanced/extended chords outside just major and minor
- Instrument/mute change would be cool, but not required

The most important thing I am trying to find is something that I can make my own, to put my own musical spin on it. This means something new/lesser known would be appreciated, so that changes/decisions I make aren't pressured by well known versions. In the end, I just want something cool and fun to play.

Sorry if this is a long list! Maybe it's impossible to check all the boxes... please don't be afraid to add something that might have just a few of the characteristics I am looking for. Thanks!
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two cool pieces that might fit the bill (that I think are unusual and do showcase well, though differently) are the Solstice Sonata (Carson Cooman) and With Malice Towards None (John Williams).

Neither is a particularly common piece but they do have canonical players (Chris Gekker and Chris Martin respectively).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: