• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why not talk about technique?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acoffman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:

We generally try to have the teacher focus on diagnosis and prescription and allow the student to focus on pursuing the modeled sound (in all aspects including tone, tempo, articulation, phrasing...). Even if the student is "thinking about technique" when they aren't playing, we strive to only focus on the sound of the music when we are playing. Anything else that eats up mental bandwidth while we are playing is a distraction that is usually detrimental. Adam often said that lots of things were worthy of 1% of our thinking and anything more than "an awareness" would detract from progress. As a super analytical overthinker, I concur. This is why Adam (and Carmine) were the teachers that clicked for me. I'm not a meathead, so turning off the analysis and self consciousness was a major requirement to get out of my own way.

I love this whole post and the insights with it. And while I’m not a student of Bill Adam, this part of your statement does still, in my mind, pretty well summarize what my teachers tried to imbue in me, and likewise, what I try to instill in my own students. The sound is the number one goal. This doesn’t mean it’s at the expense of technique, quite the opposite! Instead we should strive to be able to produce our best/most desired sound regardless of the technical difficulty laid before us. This, in and of itself, requires diligent work on technique so that we can achieve technical proficiency to a degree where the technique does not hinder our desired sound concept.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: