• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What constitutes that classic French sound?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine a trumpet class in the Paris Conservatoire where they are listening to recordings of the "American School". They listen to Vacchiano, Ghitalla, Harry Glantz, Gil Johnson and Herseth. "Ah, so that is the American sound", erupts a student". Well, yes and no. The teacher explains that that WAS the American sound. Today, it is different. And so it is with the French sound. Listen to recordings of French players today, and you will hear how they play. Guy Tourvron, Eric Aubier for example. And they are the older players. The young people graduating will sound different. And so it goes. Especially with globalization, sounds will be more homogenized than before, among the different nations.

BTW, on one of Voisin's album covers, there is a photo of a bunch of his trumpets. I couldn't recognize one of them. I also saw his trumpets in his studio once. Same. Hint. They weren't Bachs.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I was a young university music student, I can remember sitting around the radio with my roomies and identifying (usually) what was a German, American, French, Russian, Italian or English orchestra. Japanese western orchestral music was usually divided into two camps, French or German. There was no western "Japanese" style.

I think with the universal proliferation of media and the international, mobile working of conductors and musical "superstars", much has met a common musical ground and no longer is separated by national styles. I want to point out, though, that my reason for this thread pertains to pre 1970s French music.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... with globalization, sounds will be more homogenized than before." (per Irving)

BINGO !!

That formerly ubiquitous / unique "French sound" is likely destined to be obsolete and an "endangered species", sadly.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am playing my "Made in France" (as opposed to "French") horns quite a bit, lately.

Never really have deviated away from them, honestly ... aside from a few spells on Martin Committees ( mostly, Large-Bore ).

Mouthpiece selection is a HUGE issue. I sorta dwell in the Chet Baker mode ... you know: airy, mellow. With the proper mouthpiece, and a pre-War French Besson, or a pre-War Couesnon Monopole ... I'm pretty much "there".

Nice !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: