• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hearing the music in your head while playing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtr1023

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Hearing the music in your head while playing Reply with quote

Hey there!

I am wondering if there are any opinions on this topic:

My question is about WHEN you hear the music on the page. Do you hear one note in advance, or are you hearing a whole phrase ahead of where you're actually playing?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about. Just let it happen as it will.

I think, if it's something I know well, I am concentrating on the music in real time. If I'm sight-reading, I am looking ahead while letting the present music automatically take care of itself.

In either case, I have my listening radar out.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sync as it plays - as if I’m singing along.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hearing it, and feeling it - I play by feel as much as anything. To produce what the paper shows, in the context of what my ears hear, I know what that will feel like. If I lose that awareness, it goes south fast.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Roger Rocco's blog, he talks about how his students suddenly sound better if he's singing along in lessons. I've tried this in lessons as well. I'm NOT a good singer, but can make a student sound significantly better if I sing along.

The lesson from Mr. Rocco as well as my experience is to sing along. Cultivate a vivid (loud and detailed) idealized sound in your imagination and sing in your head as you play. If a bad singer like me can make someone sound better, how much better can the ideal trumpet sound in your imagination help?

I just try to sing along in my head like we're playing together -- not early, just right together.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good question!

Basically what poketrum said. Basically "in-sync."

But as with most automated responses, there's a spectrum. If you go and sing "Mary had a Little Lamb" there's not much thought that goes into things, it's automated and requires little brain power. New things that you've never heard before, most trumpeters kind of learn the "tune" as they learn the piece. i.e., they are practicing the singing and the trumpeting concurrently. In an ideal world, you can sing (internally aka audiation) the entirety of what you are about to play as fast as you are about to play it. The test if we can sing it internally is generally if we can sing it externally (so do your singing!). Then its just a matter of putting the trumpet conditioning on top of that.

Now, if we play things slower, we can make it so you audiate the pitch, then play and while playing you can audiate the next one. But like i said, ideally you have the tune in your head before you pick up the trumpet.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hearing the music in your head while playing Reply with quote

gtr1023 wrote:
My question is about WHEN you hear the music on the page. Do you hear one note in advance, or are you hearing a whole phrase ahead of where you're actually playing?

When you read aloud a sentence from a written page, do you hear the entire sentence in your head before speaking it, or just one word at a time? Either way works. But it will likely sound better, if you hear the entire sentence before speaking it, so you know where the thought is going, and ... so ... it ... doesn't ... sound ... like ... this.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poketrum wrote:
In sync as it plays - as if I’m singing along.

+1
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
rdotson102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever been to a restaurant and ordered a Coke, but they gave you tea instead? If you didn't realize it before taking that first sip, there's a little bit of shock when you take first taste it, right? There's nothing wrong with tea, you just weren't expecting it. It's not like you were consciously imagining the taste beforehand, but subconsciously you were. The same thing happens on trumpet when we expect something to come of the horn and it's different. Normally it's just a missed note, but how many times have you been sight-reading a chart, heard the wrong note in your head but played the right note? You're at least surprised. As we get better and better as musicians, we tend to read music as sounds more so than notes, if you know what I mean. Hearing a note ahead is good, but hearing the phrase, or at least where you are in the phrase, is better. It's rarely the note itself that matters as much as how it's connected to the others. Chances are, you'll notice that you have the whole phrase in your head as your playing a song that you've played before. Most of this is subconscious, but using Bill Adam type techniques with creating as detailed a mental image of the sound in your head consciously as you play is massively beneficial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: