• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any advice for type 2's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB baby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Any advice for type 2's? Reply with quote

I am a high schooler who just recently changed his embouchure to a type 2, I have only been playing for 2 months with this embouchure and it seems more promising than my last one but it still needs a lot of work.

For about 6 years I had been trying to play like everyone else, with a downward horn angle and more top lip than bottom lip (downstream), I would try to do this by rolling in my top lip and actually holding my embouchure together by pure pressure while my top lip was literally under my top teeth, not even on them. My bottom lip would have nothing to vibrate on because most of it was just hanging around because I was trying to play as if I had an overbite, but I naturally have an underbite.

Anyway, I hit a skill cap at one point and started researching new ways to play but all of them just said to "firm your corners" or "practice and the range will eventually come", except Reinhardt, which I feel has actually helped me improve, now I can naturally tongue, have an actual range now, double tongue, vibrato, etc.

TL DR: I recently switched to being a type 2 after having a pretty bad inner embouchure, any advice as to how to improve? What exercises from the schlossberg, arban, clarke, etc would other type 2s reccomend?

I also wanted to make this post specifically about type 2s because I mostly see type 3 and 4 posts but not any about 2s so it would be helpful to heir from other type 2s in order to find my strengths and weaknesses and focus on those.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A type II is identical to type IV in every way except resting position of the jaw. Every aspect of playing is the same. I prefer to just call it IV. And IV's are not that uncommon.

Without actually seeing you play, I can only offer general suggestions, and even those are only wild guesses. I suggest a Skype lesson.

It's probably good that you tried to play downstream, because it uses muscles that you need. Downstream freebuzzing is useful (if done correctly) because it helps to identify the feel of using those muscles below the corners, which will help as an upstream player. Don't use muscles above the corners - that's a fairly common mistake.
Learn what you pivot is and learn to use it. I can help you find that in a lesson.

There's lots more but it sounds like you're somewhat familiar with the concepts.
AB baby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I mean I know that I pivot down to go up and pivot up to go down but honestly playing downstream would be unnatural for me in every way possible because of the high placement on the teeth and lips, it's just extremely uncomfortable and unnatural for me and while upstream has uts struggles they make a lot more sense instead of trying to struggle with playing in such a way that is unnatural to me.

As far as lessons go I've never really had a private lesson other than with my public school band directors.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any advice for type 2's? Reply with quote

AB baby wrote:
For about 6 years I had been trying to play like everyone else, with a downward horn angle and more top lip than bottom lip (downstream), I would try to do this by rolling in my top lip and actually holding my embouchure together by pure pressure while my top lip was literally under my top teeth, not even on them. My bottom lip would have nothing to vibrate on because most of it was just hanging around because I was trying to play as if I had an overbite, but I naturally have an underbite. ...

------------------
Do you have some physical attributes that REQUIRED that unusual embouchure setup?

Do you have a good 'brass teacher' who can give you individual attention on the proper way to place the mouthpiece, and how to control and adjust your lips and aperture?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
AB baby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any advice for type 2's? Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
AB baby wrote:
For about 6 years I had been trying to play like everyone else, with a downward horn angle and more top lip than bottom lip (downstream), I would try to do this by rolling in my top lip and actually holding my embouchure together by pure pressure while my top lip was literally under my top teeth, not even on them. My bottom lip would have nothing to vibrate on because most of it was just hanging around because I was trying to play as if I had an overbite, but I naturally have an underbite. ...

------------------
Do you have some physical attributes that REQUIRED that unusual embouchure setup?

Do you have a good 'brass teacher' who can give you individual attention on the proper way to place the mouthpiece, and how to control and adjust your lips and aperture?

No not really, I prefer the type 2 way of playing as it feels easier and more natural and correct. Sure it has its hardships but they are nowhere near the old embouchure's hardships.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This is quite a post from someone so young. I’m impressed.

You are indeed correct that Type IIs often have an underbite. It was Chris LaBarbera who informed me of that many years ago in one of the posts here. However, there are exceptions. One of them is one of my former teachers, Dennis Wilson (former lead trombone with Basie, Carnegie Hall Jazz Band). I know he is a type II because he told me that Reinhardt himself typed him as one when he visited Berklee and Prof. Wilson was still a student. However, I don’t think he has an underbite, so there must be exceptions. Go to www.DennisWilson.org for a picture of him smiling. I couldn’t get it to upload here.

Looks like he has a slight overbite if anything, which is what I’m pretty sure most people have. He’s the only person I’ve ever met who I know of who was typed as a II.

As far as material to practice, I’m not sure you can go wrong with most Reinhardt material. However, I would take a Reinhardt lesson if I were you 1). To confirm you are in fact a type II. 2). To pinpoint mechanical corrections that need to be made. 3). Make sure you are practicing the material correctly. Remember that Reinhardt material, like any other exercise, can do more harm than good if approached incorrectly. A lesson or two would ensure you don’t fall into that trap.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type II's ALWAYS have an underbite, that's the definition of it. The "exception" is called Type IV.

Dennis Wilson must have not remembered the right number ...as nearly ALL single-time Reinhardt students didn't remember their type correctly.

"Uh... I think I'm a 3... something?"
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could actually be that I’m misremembering what he told me. It was over 15 years ago. But I’m pretty sure he said II. It was either II or IA, because I remember it being something shockingly rare.

It seemed from what he described (though modestly) that Reinhardt probably said in his lesson, “OK, you don’t need my help. Now go have a great career.”

I don’t know much about IIs because I’ve never seen one in action (especially now that we know Prof. Wilson isn’t one). I think I remember Reinhardt saying somewhere this type was so rare it almost wasn’t worth mentioning.

If this young man is indeed a type II, this is a good opportunity for us to learn from and potentially help others with this rare embouchure type.
AB baby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshMizruchi wrote:
Could actually be that I’m misremembering what he told me. It was over 15 years ago. But I’m pretty sure he said II. It was either II or IA, because I remember it being something shockingly rare.

It seemed from what he described (though modestly) that Reinhardt probably said in his lesson, “OK, you don’t need my help. Now go have a great career.”

I don’t know much about IIs because I’ve never seen one in action (especially now that we know Prof. Wilson isn’t one). I think I remember Reinhardt saying somewhere this type was so rare it almost wasn’t worth mentioning.

If this young man is indeed a type II, this is a good opportunity for us to learn from and potentially help others with this rare embouchure type.

Yeah guys I'm a type 2 for sure, but since I literally can't find another type 2 either professionally or on the forum I was looking for help but looking at performances of 4's like wynton marsalis has kind of helped with the pivot. The only thing I'm struggling with right now is that I also have slightly crooked middle top teeth that slightly overlap each other so I don't think my pivot is supposed to be straight but I don't know when to get on it and when to get off it.
AB baby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshMizruchi wrote:
Wow! This is quite a post from someone so young. I’m impressed.

You are indeed correct that Type IIs often have an underbite. It was Chris LaBarbera who informed me of that many years ago in one of the posts here. However, there are exceptions. One of them is one of my former teachers, Dennis Wilson (former lead trombone with Basie, Carnegie Hall Jazz Band). I know he is a type II because he told me that Reinhardt himself typed him as one when he visited Berklee and Prof. Wilson was still a student. However, I don’t think he has an underbite, so there must be exceptions. Go to www.DennisWilson.org for a picture of him smiling. I couldn’t get it to upload here.

Looks like he has a slight overbite if anything, which is what I’m pretty sure most people have. He’s the only person I’ve ever met who I know of who was typed as a II.

As far as material to practice, I’m not sure you can go wrong with most Reinhardt material. However, I would take a Reinhardt lesson if I were you 1). To confirm you are in fact a type II. 2). To pinpoint mechanical corrections that need to be made. 3). Make sure you are practicing the material correctly. Remember that Reinhardt material, like any other exercise, can do more harm than good if approached incorrectly. A lesson or two would ensure you don’t fall into that trap.

Thanks for the advice! By the way, where are these exercises that everyone keeps talking about? All I've gotten access to is the guide on types with pictures and the diagrams that help with horn angle, teeth and lip placement. But I haven't found any exercises, do I have to buy the book?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: