• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Performance anxiety

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony Plog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Performance anxiety Reply with quote

For those of us who have had to at one time deal with performance anxiety (and who hasn't?), let me introduce Aaron Williamon and Jason Evans. Aaron is Professor of Performance Science at the Royal College of Music in London, while Jason is the head of the brass department (and also is principal trumpet of the Philharmonia Orchestra). Their work together combines a rigorous scientific approach with a practical performance application. In Part 1 of our conversation Jason talks about what it was like to be the youngest person ever appointed to a principal position in an English orchestra and the pressures of such a high level position, while Aaron talks about his current scientific projects related to performance anxiety.
http://www.anthonyplog.com/podcasts/williamon-and-evans
#musicperformance #performanceanxiety #classicalmusic #classicalmusician #performancescience #musicpodcast #trumpet #podcast
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was performing a set of finger style ukulele pieces a few years back. Fairly new to performing on this instrument and I can get nervous.
I had just undergone cataract on both eyes. My glasses prescription was too strong for me. I was reading a few things and used a pair of readers. The people in the audience were really blurry, almost as if they were not there. I really couldn't see them and my nerves calmed down quite a bit. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE Anthony Plog!? An honour, Sir.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose we all have some degree of performance anxiety ... or, "stage fright".

At quite a young age, I was tasked with having (was more-or-less, a "command performance") to play solo, The National Anthem, and a somewhat improvised rendition of Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare For The Common Man".

The event was a gubernatorial inauguration.
At least 5,000 people in attendance. Outdoors, I might add.
The "connection" was that I had dated the new governor's daughter.

For some reason, I was not in the least, nervous.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first note I ever played at the first rehersal I ever attended of the first group I ever played with scared me so much, I didn't play another note for the rest of the rehersal.

There've been performances I've ran out of because of the anxiety, more flubbed notes than I care to count, and a lot of missed opportunities.

Funny to think that these days I'd rather stand in front of a huge crowd with a trumpet in my hands than 2 people without one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: