• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet and the Rule of Three

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have mentioned several times, if mouthpiece playing isn't helpful for you, don't do it. Works great for me and my students! Perhaps you're not approaching it correctly? Who knows? Get the book, see for yourself.

Regardless, of the 450 pages in the book, 9 mention buzzing/mouthpiece playing and only 8 have mouthpiece specific exercises. Still don't like mouthpiece playing? Cool, skip those pages.

The "to buzz or not to buzz" debate is silly. If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, don't.
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
Steve A wrote:
... it's misleading people to say good trumpet playing results from literally copying what you do when you play on the mouthpiece.

-----------------------------------
I don't recall anyone recommending 'literally copying' the action of mouthpiece buzzing as the way to play the trumpet.

Kalijah says:

"If I play exactly like I buzz it sounds horrible. If I buzz like I play there is no sound, just air flowing, or indeterminate and unrelated pitches."

Chris O'Hara quotes that and replies (no doubt with an element of implied light-heartedness or humour):

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.
-Luke Skywalker"

None of the words kalijah said in that quote were wrong. All of them were right.

This is getting off the rails. Either statement might be considered incorrect according to certain players. There are MANY top teachers and world class players who teach and use buzzing both personally and with students to great success.
Buzzing does not create a bad sound. If it works for you great, if it doesn't....that's fine too.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I bought a copy but haven't had a chance to look through the whole thing so forgive me if this is covered somewhere, but do you have any thoughts about breaks on the mouthpiece?
I have one right on Concert C above the staff. Upto the B feels like hardly any effort required, but then it's like hitting a rubber wall at the C. You can force it up but it doesn't want to go up. I can also seem to slip past it, A-B-C# and the C# comes out without forcing, but that concert C is a real doozy.
There's also one around High E/F. It's easier to pop up to around Double C than it is to buzz anything in the E-f# area.
Is this something you've encountered? Any advice for working through this?

It's annoying because it's such little effort up to that point and then suddenly it feels like something has to be manipulated fairly significantly to proceed... Annoying!
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Hi Chris,

I bought a copy but haven't had a chance to look through the whole thing so forgive me if this is covered somewhere, but do you have any thoughts about breaks on the mouthpiece?
I have one right on Concert C above the staff. Upto the B feels like hardly any effort required, but then it's like hitting a rubber wall at the C. You can force it up but it doesn't want to go up. I can also seem to slip past it, A-B-C# and the C# comes out without forcing, but that concert C is a real doozy.
There's also one around High E/F. It's easier to pop up to around Double C than it is to buzz anything in the E-f# area.
Is this something you've encountered? Any advice for working through this?

It's annoying because it's such little effort up to that point and then suddenly it feels like something has to be manipulated fairly significantly to proceed... Annoying!

The mouthpiece doesn't actually have a "break" like a clarinet, etc. The break you are describing is where the player starts putting in extra effort and "grabs" with the lips.

I have worked several students (and myself) through this. The best thing to do is to start below the spot where you experience a jump and slowly glissando over the spot. Think of it like ironing a wrinkle out of a shirt - slow and consistent. Focus on keeping the sound even.

Does that help?
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have at it and see if it goes away! Cheers!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are experiencing the first resonance of the mouthpiece alone. (Without a trumpet attached) It is around A-concert above the staff and varies with the mouthpiece considered. There is quite a bit of "pull" towards that resonance and it is difficult to slide around it compared to the non-resonant region in the staff and below. Just like it is difficult to bend notes to be above an instrument resonance without the tone jumping up to the next resonance.

There is also another resonance on the mp about and octave or more above that.

Quote:
It's easier to pop up to around Double C than it is to buzz anything in the E-f# area

Congrats, you found the second resonance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: