• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression Training System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Compression Training System Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts and impressions of Larry Meregilanno’s Compression Training System.

I purchased this from Larry a while back, but never got around to trying it. Am I glad I finally did!
I’ve been using it for less than a month, but so far the results have exceeded my expectations. FAR exceeded.
My range has topped out at fourth ledger line G for years, the F# being more solid and consistent, and so far G is still my ceiling. What has drastically changed though is my ability to USE the F#. I now have that note solidly available even at the very end of a typical four hour “commercial” gig, and in addition my endurance is drastically improved, so is flexibility. And the G is getting there too.

I’ve never been one to try trumpet “tools / gadgets”, my thinking has always been proper PRACTICE ON THE HORN is what leads to improvement, and of course there’s a lot more to being an accomplished player than range. I still believe that’s true, and obviously practice on the horn is critical. But especially if you’re playing commercial and /or big band gigs, you need a solid, centered, in-tune useable top end. In my experience so far, this CTS System WORKS.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Larry’s company, but this has been my experience in a short amount of time. IMO, this product is WELL worth the cost.

https://www.trumpetlegacy.com/

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad how long do you use the CTS in a practice session? Would you mind detailing your routine with it?

Descriptions I've seen elsewhere have been somewhat vague on the method and how long it's used.

I've contemplated getting one in the past but like yourself have defaulted back to "why not just play the horn" thinking instead.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
Brad how long do you use the CTS in a practice session? Would you mind detailing your routine with it?

Descriptions I've seen elsewhere have been somewhat vague on the method and how long it's used.

I've contemplated getting one in the past but like yourself have defaulted back to "why not just play the horn" thinking instead.

What I’ve been doing is pretty minimal, I don’t actually use it while in a practice session. What I’ve been doing is using it once a day, and following Larry’s recommendations for number of repetitions, etc. I can tell you that it’s working for me without much time commitment.

I mentioned to Larry that I was planning to post about it here, maybe he’ll see this and chime in, obviously he’s the best source for answers about the system. Or maybe you could click the website link and ask him directly.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Quadstriker wrote:

What I’ve been doing is pretty minimal, I don’t actually use it while in a practice session. What I’ve been doing is using it once a day, and following Larry’s recommendations for number of repetitions, etc. I can tell you that it’s working for me without much time commitment.

I mentioned to Larry that I was planning to post about it here, maybe he’ll see this and chime in, obviously he’s the best source for answers about the system. Or maybe you could click the website link and ask him directly.

Sounds like Larry has built a better mousetrap. I follow him on Facebook and he's very passionate about this. Good for him. He seems like a stand up guy.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the CTS. Its greatest value, in my opinion, is that it's a silent and portable practice tool that works the embouchure the same way playing does. I mainly use mine to warmup in the morning, sticking to low-intensity reps and some static holds. I've found that a light CTS warmup makes a traditional warmup unnecessary, even with hours in between a CTS warmup and my first notes of the day.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it every day. I do some pedals before I dig it out. I have found that if I really do it as instructed I can't go straight to playing. I need to wait a while. If the method does as advertised then you are exercising the same muscles you would use for playing and, as with other trumpet exercises, resting a bit is helpful
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine on the days that I don’t have time to practice. 10 -15 minutes is enough to exercise and strengthen my embouchure. Usually in the evening while watching tv. It has definitely made me a stronger player. My range has increased only a little, but is now usable.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: