• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nose Breathing. Have I been living under a rock?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Nose Breathing. Have I been living under a rock? Reply with quote

There’s a saying, never argue with an idiot… etc.

So before I take the plunge, have I missed something over the past quarter century?

I have a collection of students in band, all with the same private teacher, who all swear they are taught to breathe through their nose only while playing. If they breathe through their mouth, they must remove the mouthpiece from their lips. So they don’t. Ever. These kids are playing at a pretty rudimentary standard. I am, to be honest, gobsmacked.

I am happy to call issues out, and when I do, let kids know their instrumental teacher, sports coach, maths tutor, etc are welcome to call me if they have a problem with what I have said. (Only ever had one call, from a p!ssed orthodontist. Guess he didn’t like being questioned over his Fiji holiday patient…)

So, kind reader, before I open my mouth… have I missed something!

Cheers

Andy
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you believe that the student's 'nose breathing' is limiting their ability to inhale adequate air for playing? Does that appear to inhibit their playing progress?

Are the students trying to 'sniff' small amounts of air, or are they also doing 'deep inhales'?

Do the students seem to take an unusually long time to establish their mouthpiece placement? Can they quickly re-establish position after removing the mouthpiece.

I have seen / read instructions about not removing the mouthpiece for breathing, but perhaps that is only in the context of while doing a specific type of training exercise.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take the student's word on this. Talk to the teacher and get the rest of the story.

I often have students breathe through the nose for periods of time in their development.

Also if I have a group of students from the same school I will have them practice the same things so they may reinforce the concept to each other.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Nose Breathing. Have I been living under a rock? Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
have I missed something!

You have not. Breathing through the mouth, while the mouthpiece on the lips, is an essential skill, no matter what your belief is on nose-breathing and brass playing.

To answer JayKosta, yes, if somebody does not have this skill, they are limiting their ability to inhale adequate air for MANY moments in the repertoire.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Breathing through the mouth, while the mouthpiece on the lips...

Hell one of the best things I was ever taught was to use breaths as an excuse to lift the mouthpiece off your top lip so that you can get bloodflow in. Has done wonders for my endurance on longer concerts with heavy rep to just have more moments without that piece of metal on my face.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I wouldn't take the student's word on this. Talk to the teacher and get the rest of the story.

I often have students breathe through the nose for periods of time in their development.

Also if I have a group of students from the same school I will have them practice the same things so they may reinforce the concept to each other.

I think this is all great advice.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes. The is nothing incorrect or "wrong" about nose inhalation. Unfortunately, the habitual "gasp" through the mouth has become the habit of most players for most, (or all) inhalations. Primarily because they have been taught that way. It has become a requirement by teachers.

There are multiple advantages to primarily using the nose for inhalation and only supplementing with the mouth if high inflow for short duration is required.

I would stop short of advising EXCLUSIVELY nose inhalation as one advances as a player. But it should be primary. Most players use concurrent nose inhalation more than they might think.

For beginners, I teach nose inhalation ONLY.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This:

www.brasschats.com/interviews/brass-chats-episode-30-jim-pandolfi-live

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the questions...

Yes, I do think it is limiting them. They all share little to no ability to articulate, play incredibly softly, can't start a note clearly, and are unable to play more than a few beats without needing to sniff in a little more.

They find taking the mouthpiece off their face, or breathing through their mouth by opening their jaw a little before resetting and playing almost impossible.

I've quietly verified this across all the students, who play in a number of ensembles. (there is one kid taking lessons from a different person. Their expression of WTF was almost funny to see. They also play rings around the rest.)

Asking the teacher - well, one can't get a straight answer from them. There are explicit expectations they are contracted to - maybe I'm just too finicky with trumpets, it does feel all they either miss these expectations, or pay lip service to them and go about their merry way.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:

Yes. The is nothing incorrect or "wrong" about nose inhalation. Unfortunately, the habitual "gasp" through the mouth has become the habit of most players for most, (or all) inhalations. Primarily because they have been taught that way. It has become a requirement by teachers.

There are multiple advantages to primarily using the nose for inhalation and only supplementing with the mouth if high inflow for short duration is required.

I would stop short of advising EXCLUSIVELY nose inhalation as one advances as a player. But it should be primary. Most players use concurrent nose inhalation more than they might think.

What are the advantages/what is your reasoning for saying it should be primary? I've been playing for over twenty years and make a living playing/teaching and have never heard anyone advocate for nose inhalation as a primary breathing method.

I'm not saying my mind can't be changed, but you can't assert such an out there claim without giving some justification.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astadler wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Quote:

What are the advantages/what is your reasoning for saying it should be primary? I've been playing for over twenty years and make a living playing/teaching and have never heard anyone advocate for nose inhalation as a primary breathing method.

I'm not saying my mind can't be changed, but you can't assert such an out there claim without giving some justification.

If the student is distorting the embouchure when inhaling, and many do, then nose breathing can help stabilize the embouchure.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, evaluating/micro-managing the topic, is a waste of time and it's making something simple (for me) into something unnecessarily complex. More to think about, more "paralysis by analysis".

If you need to conctrate on it, do.

Here are the reasons I can see, if worrying about nose breathing is necessary or not:

*If you are doing Caruso's 6 Tones.
* Your horn keeps slipping from position after removing it and putting it back on.
* Some pedagogues say that nose breathing. somehow, adds some extra strength/efficiency chemically to your system.

Personally, I have never gotten into analyzing it when there wasn't an issue to begin with. I'm a great believer that your body remembers things if left alone. So, if my body knows where the best embouchure placement is, all I have to do is put the mouthpiece on my face and muscle memory does the rest.

Ever watch Freddie Hubard play? He will completely remove the horn from his face, even for a few beats, then come back in on a Double G without resetting, anchoring or what have you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy wrote
Quote:
If the student is distorting the embouchure when inhaling, and many do, then nose breathing can help stabilize the embouchure.

That is one benefit.

But all players, not just students, can benefit from the stability of not inhaling through the mouth corners.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call nose breathing a bad thing but another vote to keep it out of the "primary" camp. As we gain hundreds, thousands of hours to our practicing, habits are formed which can be very hard to break. One head cold and your primary source of breathing isn't possible, or severely problematic.

There could be reasonable arguments on both sides but as common as a blocked nasal passage can be for many people makes this a non starter. At a minimum it can be integrated with breathing through the mouth but not as the primary method.

I've been playing professionally and teaching for decades and feel this is just common sense and hard to argue (No, I'm not looking for an argument:)
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a useful tool. For soft exposed entrances for example. If you have loud passages especially in the lower register, then it wouldn't work. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Unless due to a health issue, the nose is ALWAYS available for inhalation. And it alone is sufficient for most musical situations for the inhalation preceding a note or phrase. (One is not required to inhale the air volume on the very last beat or 2 before most musical entrances.)

2. In the musical instance or requirement of a short-duration/ high-flow inhalation, the nose AND mouth-corners concurrently is superior to mouth alone. (most already do this without realizing it)

If you can escape the habit of denying the nose you can realize the benefits. Again, I am not suggesting one never allow the mouth to contribute for certain situations (see 1 and 2). But EVERY inhalation can and should involve the nose. There is no logical reason otherwise.

Nose inhalation is also the natural and healthy way to inhale.
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel pretty lucky in that I don't get colds and congestion often but know many of my students (and colleagues) suffer from them frequently. I can also think of times where I have had to perform with a stuffy nose and can't imagine what I would have done if I were used to primarily nose breathing and then having to only breath through the mouth on an important performance.

On the other side, I think most players allow some flow through the nose when breathing through the mouth. Temporarily putting a nose clamp or swimming nose plug on is interesting to really see how much you already rely on this is an interesting experiment.
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astadler wrote:
Quote:
Breathing through the mouth, while the mouthpiece on the lips...

Hell one of the best things I was ever taught was to use breaths as an excuse to lift the mouthpiece off your top lip so that you can get bloodflow in. Has done wonders for my endurance on longer concerts with heavy rep to just have more moments without that piece of metal on my face.

You can release pressure and breathe through the corners without lifting the mp all the way off the lips.
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: