• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First foray into picc country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: First foray into picc country Reply with quote

Our orchestra is playing the Hallelujah Chorus and it's been suggested that I play it on piccolo. If I'm using a Bb picc can I just read the Bb trumpet part off the page as is?
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like playing in the key of E major...sure.

Much easier to play on Picc in A. One flat. Easier trills.

It's not hard to do, either.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's right. Plus, many cheap pics tend to play a bit more in tune, and better on the A side than Bb.

On the other hand, I can't remember how many times in HS I played the old Schirmer part on a regular Bb trumpet. Didn't know the difference, worked just fine. This was usually with a very large orchestra with bones and horns, full WWs and huge choir, however. In the more chamber-sized group it likely would've sounded too loud/big. Also did The Trumpet Shall Sound a number of times on a D. Too much work for me today, pic in A is the only way to go.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.
Piccolo in A for the Messiah. Anything else is torture for the player and the audience.
I bought my piccolo four years ago and have never used the Bb leadpipe and probably never will.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to play that on picc make sure you give yourself enough time to get familiar with piccolo trumpet playing in general and the particulars of whichever model you'll be using.

Does it have a cornet or trumpet mouthpiece receiver? Do you have a mouthpiece that will work well with it? That's particularly important if your picc has a cornet mouthpiece receiver (only). If you already have a cornet mouthpiece it might be a deep cup such as you'd typically use for cornet literature. That's probably not going to be a good match for a picc.

Assuming it is a four-valve horn, make sure you take the time to figure out how to use the fourth valve to improve intonation, and which notes you need to use it on for your particular model.

Regarding Bb or A, that's a decision based on how your horn sounds with either leadpipe (mainly an intonation issue), and which key you prefer to play the piece in.

Good luck!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: On only the Hallelujah! Chorus, which is not all that high, long or exhausting, I wouldn't get very bent out of shape concerning mouthpieces or the 4th valve. IIRC, the 4th valve (low F) is used only on sustained notes (the first "King of Kings, and Lord of Lords") and a pickup after that, so nbd.

I'd also suggest further, since it is not Brandenburg 2 or even the Fasch as far as endurance/range, not to use a shallow, lead-type mouthpiece, whether trumpet of cornet shank. Personally, I use a Carl Fischer 7C* (!) cornet mouthpiece I found in a used mouthpiece drawer for just about all of my playing on my P5-4. I find, in my case, that the more common 11Ax/7E type pieces sound somewhat "nasal", whereas I can attain a more "floating" tone quality with a bit more cup to work with. This is important for me, also, if I'm going back and forth between pic and a bigger horn in a show, concert, or recital. (In shows, like Pippin, for example, there is often only a few measures to grab the other horn, then little time to go back. In a more concert-type setting, there's usually plenty of time between selections.

Again, all this is assuming that "Hallelujah!" is all that needs to be played on the pic. For someone already able to play 1st (principal) in an orchestra, I wouldn't sweat it unless you also need to go out and buy a pic.

Regardless, have fun and play well.[/b]
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not care for the sound from the Bb side, even on a first rate horn like a Schilke P7-4.
btomcik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you've played picc before. My experience was that for the first several days after getting it, I was so frustrated with playing the horn that I almost gave up and returned it. It took a lot of work to get used to playing it. Out of the three horns I have, it is now by far my favorite to play. I personally play pieces that require both the A and Bb pipes. My recommendation is to make sure you spend time getting used to playing the horn and dealing with its nuances.

I agree with those who recommended using the A pipe; it will make playing the Hallelujah easier due to the key signature.

Also, it will not make you gain range (the notes are written an octave lower so they trick you like that lol); though for me, I felt playing in the upper register is easier with a picc. Have fun with the little bastard of a horn!
XO 1700 Bb/A picc
"Hit it hard, and wish it well." - CG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: