• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Freddie's Horns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Freddie's Horns Reply with quote

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed a bit on the form historically in general, but can anyone point out specific albums where Freddie uses a Bach Mercedes? I'm thinking his first albums like Open Sesame, or with Eric Dolphy (Outward Bound) or with Tina Brooks (True Blue) in 1960 have a slightly different sound/vibe than his bread and butter stuff later on in the sixties with the Conn 8B and in the 70's with Calicchio. I know that can be just due to recording/studio factors.

His tone on Outward Bound is really fascinating to me.

Link

Also, what horn does he have on the front of The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard?

Link

https://www.youtube.com/@trumpet_madness
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson on cover of artistr
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Besson on cover of artistr

It appears to be a NY Bach on the cover of "The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard" based on the bell stamp, pearl inlays, and dual tuning slide braces. The same Bach is also pictured on the cover of some editions of "Ready for Freddie". It's a lightweight NY Mercedes with 2 tuning slide braces. Presumably with either a 37 or 38 bell.

I believe there's also an album cover from the early 60's where he is holding a Couesnon Bb trumpet. I don't know if it had a model name or number, but it is the one with dual underslung waterkeys on the tuning slide and 3rd slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: