• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wider Bach Valve Finger Buttons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Wider Bach Valve Finger Buttons? Reply with quote

Hi TH friends. Happy New Year to all!

Is there anyone out there that manufactures wider Bach valve top caps/finger buttons? I've tried some aftermarket ones that are wider than stock, but they change the distance of the upstroke/downstroke. I'm not looking for bling or heavyweight/lightweight options, I'm just looking for a wider button without changing anything else with the OEM setup, if that makes sense.

My old Getzen Eterna (my favorite valves) has a much wider button than Bach. I find my fingers sliding around when I use my Bach.

Divitt, KGU, any others come to mind?

https://www.youtube.com/@trumpet_madness
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking - have you tried the Curry Lightweight buttons? I don't really find them much lighter but they are wider.
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Just checking - have you tried the Curry Lightweight buttons? I don't really find them much lighter but they are wider.

Thanks--yes I do have those. I love them but wish they had the same thickness/height as the stock Bach buttons. The ones I have lead to an appreciably different downstroke feel and distance.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Divitt
https://www.divitt-trumpets.com/
(Canada)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSco wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:

Thanks--yes I do have those. I love them but wish they had the same thickness/height as the stock Bach buttons. The ones I have lead to an appreciably different downstroke feel and distance.

If all else fails, just remove the top cap rubber ring and pad the valve button itself like you would a Benge. It's pretty easy to do a down stroke alignment with finger button felts by pulling the slides.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the dimensions on the underside of the button are wrong, the travel of the valve won't change. The stroke might feel different if the height of the button isn't the same as your original buttons, but that isn't changing the actual distance the valve travels.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that stands out to me in this is that wider buttons MAY be bad for the horn by enabling bad habits.

It is possible to play the horn without buttons - the valve stems don't feel very good, but it is possible. The hard part with that extreme analogy is that one's form must be solid - precisely actuating the pistons, not allowing for slop (the extreme example of which would be those who lay their fingers over the buttons rather than the tips, though that is not what we are talking about here).

The point is, if your approach to the valve is straight, there should be no sliding around, regardless of button size. A larger button merely provides a wider area for the force to be applied to, allowing for the center of the force line to be off-center relative to the valve. That creates lateral forces on the piston and will result in excessive casing wall wear, ultimately causing the valves to leak.

As someone whose mildly arthritic fingers have started rotating a bit at some joints, I certainly understand that there can be challenges. But it does not change the physics, and thus the importance of applying force in line with the center axis of the piston if you want the valves to last. Wider buttons just invite doing damage.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
thejoed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Harrelson flat-topped raw brass finger buttons. They might be a little bit wider, but the flat metal surface is much more grippy than the stock plastic/pearl rounded buttons. Available plated if brass doesn't jive with your skin.
They do not alter the up/downstroke.

https://www.whyharrelson.com/store/p252/Set_of_3_Finger_Button_Tops_and_Bottoms_-_Brass.html
Eterna
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
The thing that stands out to me in this is that wider buttons MAY be bad for the horn by enabling bad habits.

The OP wasn't looking for a dissertation on the evils of wider finger buttons. He/she mentioned that they liked the feel of their Getzen buttons as opposed to those on their Bach. I presume this is to mean that they are looking for a finger button that fits on their Bach without affecting the alignment with the size/feel of their Getzen. So unless it is being suggested that Getzen finger buttons "MAY be bad for the horn by enabling bad habits", I would think that simply helping the OP find replacement finger buttons is what's in order.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

The OP wasn't looking for a dissertation on the evils of wider finger buttons. He/she mentioned that they liked the feel of their Getzen buttons as opposed to those on their Bach. I presume this is to mean that they are looking for a finger button that fits on their Bach without affecting the alignment with the size/feel of their Getzen. So unless it is being suggested that Getzen finger buttons "MAY be bad for the horn by enabling bad habits", I would think that simply helping the OP find replacement finger buttons is what's in order.

Of course you would favor helping someone, who with all good intentions may not realize the risk, to damage their horn. Why share insight or knowledge, and prompt someone to focus on technique, right?

The OP clearly said
JSco wrote:
I find my fingers sliding around when I use my Bach.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Of course you would favor helping someone, who with all good intentions may not realize the risk, to damage their horn. Why share insight or knowledge, and prompt someone to focus on technique, right?

The OP clearly said
JSco wrote:
I find my fingers sliding around when I use my Bach.

Thanks Ron, I do think you make a valid point. The Getzen has a longer valve block with more space inbetween the valves in the valve casing. I also am pretty sure the valves are overall shorter. After years of playing on that setup, switching back and forth to my Bach I am probably depressing the valves off center. I appreciate the callout!

Thanks to all for your thoughts, I'll check out all of your various ideas!

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe buttons with a light concavity or cup would feel good when pressed and help you keep the fingers aligned?
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got used to the silver-plated brass Curry-style finger buttons on my Kanstul-made Flip Oakes horns, and purchased a set for my son's and daughter's Bachs.

My son preferred the feeling of mother-of-pearl finger buttons.

However, my daughter liked the flatter and wider Curry finger buttons.

With regard to finger buttons causing irregular valve wear, I recall reading a piece quoting Vincent Bach, in which he attributed the irregular valve wear mostly to players having poor right hand position over the finger buttons and not evenly depressing the pistons with the tip of the finger depressing downward at 90 degrees. Bach said that the greater the deflection from 90 degrees, the greater the irregular valve wear.

As a mechanical engineer, Bach likely got mechanical formulas drilled into him and committed to memory and heart. In the late 1800's and early 1900's, 90% of all engineering consisted of pure mechanical engineering, because electrical engineering remained in its infancy and structural engineering got taught mostly in architecture schools. It seems logical to conclude that, without modern metallurgy, materials science, and tighter tolerances, deflection angles caused more wear damage back then than deflection angles cause today.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
It seems logical to conclude that, without modern metallurgy, materials science, and tighter tolerances, deflection angles caused more wear damage back then than deflection angles cause today.

I wish that were true, but Bach used nickel or monel plated pistons, mostly in 70/30 yellow brass casings, which is still what we use today. There are also some stainless pistons, but those simply trade-off high polish thus low coefficient of friction against the increased hardness that would otherwise wear faster. The friction is the key - so maybe some marginal improvement with modern manufacturing, but introducing lateral force will add friction quite quickly.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: