• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large bore horns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Large bore horns Reply with quote

Does a large bore trumpet make it easier to play high notes? I have a medium bore and it feels snuffy in the upper register.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is a yes and no. I’ve played large and medium bore horns for lead: Benge 6X (was my favorite), Wild Thing, Benge CG, Besson Meha (.470) on the large side and V~Raptor (Stomvi, another fav), Jupiter XO 1601i (Ingram), Callet Sima (flame thrower). I found you need a balance between the mouthpiece rim cup and backbore and the horn, oh and lots of practice, flex, CG SA, etc.

Mouthpiece, I went from a small cup and backbore to a Monette B4 something or other and it’s bigger, backbore and cup and guess what, same upper register, bigger sound, more endurance. It made me think more about aperture, oops could be a useful key, air, and tongue level.

If your horn plays stuffy for you, changing things with the mouthpiece may help, but I would also start with a good tech at Osmun or Landress and a PVA, blueprinting. I also found that changing tuning slide, semi round or round on a Bach helps open up the upper register.
I forgot to mention, now I’m playing everything on a Thane Performance, red brass 72 bell. It’s a medium large bore.
Just some thoughts.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
herringbur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a larger backbore and cup, as well as the same upper register, greater sound, and better endurance. It made me consider aperture, which could be a valuable key, air , and tongue level. rainbow obby
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case a large bore trumpet might be easier if you want to stick with your present mouthpiece.

Or you could just try a different mouthpiece. You are using the Yamaha Shew Lead which has a small throat and small backbore. Why not try a Yamaha 14A4A and see if things open up a bit. The 14A4A is still a lead mouthpiece but a bit more open.

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA913447&mpc2id=VB014300
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does a large bore trumpet make it easier to play high notes?

Generally, no. Greater acoustic impedance in the instrument makes all harmonic resonances more pronounced, including the higher ones.

The mouthpiece can also increase the high harmonic resonances. Making them easier and more efficient to play.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does a large bore trumpet make it easier to play high notes?

All other things being equal: Probably not for most players. But bore is just one part of a system. Just considering the trumpet, you have the leadpipe taper, the bore, the tuning slide shape, bell taper, position of braces....Add the mouthpiece, where you have a backbore, throat, rim, cup....And then the physical characteristics of a player and their approach to playing. Not all those elements are equal, of course, nor are they all easily quantified.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a medium bore and it feels snuffy in the upper register.

Playing around lately with changing horns and mouthpieces, I have come to the conclusion that the mouthpiece gap, and the lack of good valve compression to be the two most important contributors to that stuffy feeling. I should point out that I've got a range of horns from .413 to .485 to experiment with.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Large bore horns Reply with quote

Hello all,
Large bore horns have a nice open feeling. For me, I need a bit of resistance somewhere when I get to the Eb and above. I had a Calicchio L3/9 that really played great, but was just too big. I currently have a Schilke B3 that plays equally as well. My B2 just has enough to blow against to make a difference in the upper range. The F and G pops out easier.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Large bore horns Reply with quote

ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi wrote:
Does a large bore trumpet make it easier to play high notes? I have a medium bore and it feels snuffy in the upper register.

amado, I think (unless it just blew right past me) part of your question has been overlooked and that is, simply that if your horn feels stuffy in the upper register, the problem is not with the bore but with you and/or your horn. A large bore will not make playing in the high register easy.

You need to have your horn checked out to make sure it is playing properly, check out the characteristics of the horn (in its optimum state) to make sure that particular make/model does not have a "stuffy" characteristic and, maybe (I don't know your situation/competence) check yourself out with a good superior player or a teacher.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played on a lot of horns, and have always found it's a matter of balance. A larger bore horn can give a lot more depth and texture to the notes, but high register is a matter of balancing the horn and mouthpiece and chops to get the air flow to where the higher registers don't take quite as much effort, or give too much blowback. Some resistance supports the air column enough to resonate, instead of just sucking the air away from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: