• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Frank Kaderabek video interview. At 94!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Frank Kaderabek video interview. At 94! Reply with quote

Link

+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic interview! Thank you for doing that, Mr. Purtle. Tons of gems!

At around the one-hour mark (01:00:00), he is talking about maintaining a 2-hr daily practice regimen (every day!) in order to always be building more endurance than what the job required. He recounts how the conductor (Eugene) Ormandy told him that he expected Kaderabek, as a Principal player, to play everything! And Kaderabek said, "Well, that's what you're paying me for, isn't it?"

He then talks about how we spend about 60% of our time building and maintaining endurance, that "otherwise, the thing will disappear on you." So true.

So should Principal players be expected to play everything on every performance? I think that if the orchestra/conductor permits some flexibility for an assistant to play on the lighter works (Mozart or Haydn Sym), so that the Prin. can save for the big Strauss/Mahler work on the 2nd half of the concert, then that seems reasonable. But are there any orchestras/conductors today that expect the Prin. to play on everything?! Was Ormandy himself unique in his thoughts on the matter, or were there other orchestras/conductors at the time who expected the same?

The discussion about C tpt/Bb tpt is very interesting, starting ~47:00.

He played Bb tpt while Prin. with Dallas, and then he played C tpt when playing the few years as 4th Tpt with Herseth in the CSO, but then he went back to playing Bb tpt when he went to Detroit and Bb tpt with Philadelphia. Later in the interview, he mentions playing something like the last 12 years or so on C tpt with Philly. Is that right?

What a career and legacy!
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

He played Bb tpt while Prin. with Dallas, and then he played C tpt when playing the few years as 4th Tpt with Herseth in the CSO, but then he went back to playing Bb tpt when he went to Detroit and Bb tpt with Philadelphia. Later in the interview, he mentions playing something like the last 12 years or so on C tpt with Philly. Is that right?

He doesn't say that, he says he stuck with C trumpet after Chicago.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a really strong player. I wonder who used to win the duels between Mel Broiles and Frank Kaderabek? I heard Frank play Sinfonia Domestica in Carnegie Hall in the late 70's. It was like a walk in the park for him. He had great chops and a lot of grit, which you really need to play more than 40 years as a first trumpet player. You can hear him with Philly, and also as a cornet soloist at 84,on youtube, still playing well!
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was such a wonderful player when in his prime !!!!
I performed in a concert sitting next to Frank at The NY Brass Conference back in 80 or 81. He blew me away with such a big, bold sound and dynamic presence. After seeing my stunned face while he was playing a solo on Holst's 1st suite in Eb, he politely smiled and nodded his head.
I spoke with him after the concert and he invited me to go to one of his concerts with the Philadelphia Orchestra doing The Rite of Spring. Although I was unable to go, that left such a tremendous impression on me lasting to this day...some 40+ years later !!!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschwab wrote:
dstpt wrote:

He doesn't say that, he says he stuck with C trumpet after Chicago.

Right. Sorry about that...missed it, but just had a chance to go back and listen and found that at 50:48 & 58:00.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can listen to a recital I posted on my site too.
https://www.purtle.com/audio/claude-gordon-brass-camp-1991-frank-kaderabek-recital

Frank is also in the background of all the CG lectures and sometimes asks questions and shares good advice. Arturo Sandoval is also in the background and I have some pictures to post of all the various people there. It was always a fun thing to sit at lunch or dinner with them and just listen to what they had to say.

Jeff
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Frank wisdom Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff for posting that with Frank. He's a true character and one of the best to ever sit in the first chair. A little story I'd like to relate...

I have a good friend who's a principal player in a great orchestra. He had open heart surgery prior to an ITG Conference I had planned on attending with him and of course he couldn't go with his recovery at the time. I was walking down a hallway and Frank was coming the other way. I stopped him and told him about my friend's surgery and asked if he would say some encouraging words if I called him. I dialed up my friend and put Frank on the phone to say something to him. Frank said, "have a beer and you'll be fine". My friend never erased that message to this day.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you may know Frank just passed away a few days ago. This video shows how alert he was to the very end. I’m thankful to have been able to detour to Philadelphia to visit and do the interview. Please share it with others. There is an audio recording of a recital of his on my site and another in the works to post.

https://www.purtle.com/audio/claude-gordon-brass-camp-1991-frank-kaderabek-recital
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: