• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing Lines in the Upper Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptLad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Playing Lines in the Upper Register Reply with quote

First post!!!
I am planning on auditioning for lead for my school's jazz band soon (I'm a sophmore). I talked with the director yesterday, and he said that the chair tests will be primarily based on range, specifically "playing lyrically in the upper register." At this point, I can play solidly up to a d above the staff, but tone and accuracy starts to suffer around g top of the staff. Do any of you seasoned players have any tips for how to develop tone, accuracy, and overall beautiful playing above the staff?

Thank you!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to use and control rim pressure on the lower lip to ALLOW the upper lip to be capable of vibrating properly.
Have control of your jaw.

I believe that when a player is told to use less rim pressure, what it often really means is to transfer some of the upper lip pressure onto the lower lip.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
tptLad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Are you referencing vowel shapes?

I'm on a bach 3c piece BTW
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptLad wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Are you referencing vowel shapes? ...

---------------------------
no, not regarding vowel shape. Just controlling the position of the jaw and lower teeth so they can contribute to the overall amount and distribution of rim pressure. The goal is to have the lip tissue that is inside the rim not be inhibited from vibrating properly

Vowels, tongue control, rim pressure, lip muscles, air pressure, 'feeling' of air speed, lip resistance, etc., are all important because they help determine how the lips inside the rim operate.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Playing Lines in the Upper Register Reply with quote

tptLad wrote:
First post!!!
I am planning on auditioning for lead for my school's jazz band soon (I'm a sophmore). I talked with the director yesterday, and he said that the chair tests will be primarily based on range, specifically "playing lyrically in the upper register." At this point, I can play solidly up to a d above the staff, but tone and accuracy starts to suffer around g top of the staff. Do any of you seasoned players have any tips for how to develop tone, accuracy, and overall beautiful playing above the staff?

Thank you!

Back in the stone age when I was in high school, the lead player had to own the G above high C. Whether that can be obtained quickly is doubtful.

The question for those who have that range, I might ask how long it took to get there if you were in the shoes of the OP.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
tptLad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Playing Lines in the Upper Register Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
tptLad wrote:
First post!!!

Thank you!

Back in the stone age when I was in high school, the lead player had to own the G above high C. Whether that can be obtained quickly is doubtful.

We're a tiny little school and they other 2 guys auditioning have about the same range as me (though one of the guys is a little rusty after playing mello for a marching and concert season).
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're a tiny little school and they other 2 guys auditioning have about the same range as me (though one of the guys is a little rusty after playing mello for a marching and concert season).

Interesting. So maybe the charts you'll be possibly playing are not that strenuous?

Funny though. When I was that age, the Drum Corps I played mello in had an arranger that pretty much had us playing mostly between high C and the G above. I used to joke that he must have hated us.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
tptLad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. So maybe the charts you'll be possibly playing are not that strenuous?

Yeah. Mainly because our 3rd and 4th trumpet players will be freshman mello players who have never touched a trumpet in their life
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing Lines in the Upper Register Reply with quote

tptLad wrote:
Do any of you seasoned players have any tips for how to develop tone, accuracy, and overall beautiful playing above the staff?

Joey Tartell always had amazing little nuggets to take home. For high range, get your beginning band book, start at the beginning, and play it up the octave. You're a "beginner" high note player" and the progression in a book like that will take you from "beginner" to "serviceable."

Play it with a great sound and not too loud.
tptLad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing Lines in the Upper Register Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Joey Tartell always had amazing little nuggets to take home. For high range, get your beginning band book, start at the beginning, and play it up the octave. You're a "beginner" high note player" and the progression in a book like that will take you from "beginner" to "serviceable."

Play it with a great sound and not too loud.

Thank you so much! I will definitely start working through this when I get home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: