• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RIP Stan Mark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: RIP Stan Mark Reply with quote

I saw Lynn Nicholson on Facebook this morning say he heard Stan Mark had passed, I haven't seen anything on Trumpetherald about it unless I missed it. His Wikipedia page says he passed.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this a bit earlier today too. Sad to hear.

Starting in the mid-70s I saw Maynard most every time he came to town. I can't recall ever seeing the 1st chair covered by anyone but Stan.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

😢
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why? I can't find anything on the Internet.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dmr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news is true, based on his own website. He passed away on 12/20.

http://stanmarkmusic.com/

Saw him live in the early 2000s when he came to Madison, WI to play as a guest artist with the UW Band. Amongst other tunes, played Trumpeter's Prayer with the band and certainly did it justice. Huge sound.

Having grown up well before the Internet as we know it, I appreciate now being able to learn more about all the performers that enrich our lives. Certainly I had heard him in my youth as well; just didn't know it at the time.

I hope his family and friends find peace.
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan was such a great lead trumpet player. Saw him leading Maynard’s band many times. But one time sticks out more than the rest. When the band used to go into the audience to play Hey Jude Stan was playing right next to me. I was in awe and he said to me “ like that kid ?” His sound was so full and he had complete control of his trumpet. R.I.P Stan and thanks for showing me how it’s done.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about Stan's passing until now. How sad still.

Indirectly, Stan Mark was largely responsible for my success as a trumpet player. It was when I was about 15 years old and a huge fan of Maynard and his band, including Stan Mark, that I saw Maynard's endorsement of Claude Gordon's book "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet" on the back page of one of my method books. In the endorsement he wrote:

Quote:
"It has been a pleasure to have been associated with many of Claude Gordon's students, especially Stan Mark, my present lead trumpet. This speaks for itself."

This prompted me to buy the Systematic Approach book and Claude's Daily Trumpet Routines book. And then the success I had using these books (and the others they assigned practice material out of) led me to seek private lessons with Claude, which led to a career.

I'll always be thankful for Stan Mark's influence and Maynard's influence on me, and particularly that endorsement which sent me down the right path.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Skype / Zoom Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed this, another legend gone. R.I.P
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli’s Coming wrote:
Stan was such a great lead trumpet player. Saw him leading Maynard’s band many times. But one time sticks out more than the rest. When the band used to go into the audience to play Hey Jude Stan was playing right next to me. I was in awe and he said to me “ like that kid ?” His sound was so full and he had complete control of his trumpet. R.I.P Stan and thanks for showing me how it’s done.

Memories! I remember how they'd use Hey Jude as the show-closer and the trumpets would go out in the Audience and play that motif back and forth with each other. In my case I was equal distance right between Maynard and Dennis Noday. Maynard was strong and loud, but playing into a microphone. Dennis was louder and didn't have a microphone. Wow!!!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Eli’s Coming wrote:

Memories! I remember how they'd use Hey Jude as the show-closer and the trumpets would go out in the Audience and play that motif back and forth with each other. In my case I was equal distance right between Maynard and Dennis Noday. Maynard was strong and loud, but playing into a microphone. Dennis was louder and didn't have a microphone. Wow!!!

When I first turned on to MF it was in the 70's and Primal Scream was his latest album. As I recall the section was Stan Mark, Dennis Noday, Joe Mosello, and Ron Tooley, By this time the piece where the trumpets went out into the crowd was Pagliacci. Mind blowing stuff.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: