• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet with a smell of mold and how get rid of that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inge_Trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Trumpet with a smell of mold and how get rid of that Reply with quote

I have bought a very little used John Packer JP251SW Bb Trumpet

Unfortunately, when I got it home I smelled mold (a musty smell).

At first I thought it was from the case - but quickly I found out that the mold-smell came from the trumpet....

I have cleaned the trumpet in warm water with dish soap as I learned from Youtube, but it didn't take long before the mold smell came back again…This is not so nice/fun - even due to the musty smell I really find it a nice trumpet to play on.

Therefor I wonder - does anyone know:

Why does my trumpet have a mold smell (musty smell)? What can have caused that mold smell?

How can I get rid of the mold smell in my trumpet once and for all?

Is mold smell a common smell in trumpets even if it is a more top-of-the-line trumpet, such as a Bach Stradivarius for example?
[list]
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an inveterate old horn collector, I believe a lot of what we ascribe to moldy smell may be stale lubricants and biologics from food or sugars eaten before playing. I have a dedicated utility sink for cleaning horns. If a horn has this persistent odor, I may soak it overnight in a mix of warm water and about a fourth of the volume of Simple Green solvent and perhaps a cup of white vinegar.

I avoid chlorine bleach, as it can destroy silverplate, and on a lacquered horn, very hot water can strip lacquer. After you drain the solution, flush with plenty of warm water, and "snake" all tubing with the flexible brush and dry the cylinders with a lint free cloth on a cleaning rod .
Then lube everything, including the threads on your valve caps.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Inge_Trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips huntman10!

I wil buy the Simple Green solvent and white vinegar and soak my trumpet overnight as you describe!

And start brushing my teeth before playing...

// Inge

Do you think that this Simple Green will work for the cleaning of my trumpet?

LINK

Or if not - is it possible for you to write a link to the Simple Green product that you use, so I can buy the right one from the start?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the above procedure, I would add snaking entire horn with 80% isopropyl alcohol. Use a wider brush (e.g., trombone-size) to snake the bell crook.

I would also replace all felts and corks.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Don't put it back in it's original case. That's the source of your mold smell.
2. Wash it again. Be sure you are getting off all of the old slide grease from the slides and top and bottom valve caps - inner and outer threads. On them use a tooth brush and Simple Green.
3. Wipe down with Lemon Pledge.
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Swedish:

En rejäl skvätt Yes och tre, fyra kapsyler Perstorps absolut ren ättika i en diskho full med varmt vatten, om man har en sådan som rymmer en trumpet. Om man har tur och kan hitta en allrengöring som innehåller myrsyra är det också bra, kanske till och med ännu bättre - leta bland eko-produkter - men i mina anti-miljötrakter finns inte sådana längre. Låt vila ett tag, borsta ur trumpeten med lämpliga borstar i rengöringsvattnet. Skölj sedan.

In English, pretty much what everyone else have said, but translated to local brands.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inge_Trumpet wrote:
Thanks for the tips huntman10!

I wil buy the Simple Green solvent and white vinegar and soak my trumpet overnight as you describe!

And start brushing my teeth before playing...

// Inge

Do you think that this Simple Green will work for the cleaning of my trumpet?

Or if not - is it possible for you to write a link to the Simple Green product that you use, so I can buy the right one from the start?

Looks exactly like my bottle.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are short tubes between the valve casings that often get overlooked when cleaning. Be sure to brush the entire length of the horn with a trumpet snake.

Avoid old smelly cases.
Avoid playing after eating, smoking, or drinking alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is a breading ground for mold.
Empty the water out of your horn after it has cooled down to room temperature.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the case. I guarantee.

You can clean the horn as thoroughly as you can, but it will always come back if you put it in that case.

Speaking from experience.

To get rid of it from the instrument, if your repeated bath and snake and self cleaning don't do it, take it to a shop for a shop clean. A nice bath in some properly calibrated acid should do the trick.

I'm not sure I recommend the method I used with my Olds Ambassador, though it also had some shop cleaning. But, what really did the trick was leaving it soaking in a bin of water for about 16-20 months.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added that after you dry the horn out, before you lube the slides, I rub the raw brass with old cotton T shirt material to get any stubborn residue and possibly any oxidized areas. It can really smooth up the action. Also, I get some fabric and scrub inside the lower valve caps. They can be nasty. For stubborn residues, I have a small ultrasonic cleaner that I use the same mixture I wash the horns in. Just remove the finger buttons ns and bumpers from the pistons.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I should have added that after you dry the horn out, before you lube the slides, I rub the raw brass with old cotton T shirt material to get any stubborn residue and possibly any oxidized areas. It can really smooth up the action. Also, I get some fabric and scrub inside the lower valve caps. They can be nasty. For stubborn residues, I have a small ultrasonic cleaner that I use the same mixture I wash the horns in. Just remove the finger buttons ns and bumpers from the pistons.

Similar to the advice above, but I use wetted (not dripping) chamois cloth for pistons and valve casings. It does not leave a fluffy residue on valves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: