• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any plans to update the site?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"I kind of like the site the way it is. It tends to discourage juveniles."
God forbid we should include young people and fresh ideas.

HA! That gave me a laugh!

But I think you know what I mean. For example, if you are able to "like" posts which seems to be something that the younger folk crave. Then you just get a bunch of posts designed only to generate likes that offer no other value and a group of people only dedicated to liking each other's posts.

I don't have any problem with new ideas. I am just not interested in hundreds of posts about "I'm a high school senior and can only play 20 double C's before I have to rest 10 minutes. How can I improve??"

-- Joe
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site evidently uses phpBB 2.0.x which was released in the early 2000s and which has since racked up hundreds of security vulnerabilities. The developers of phpBB officially ended support for phpBB 2.0.x in January 2009, shortly before the mobile web revolution really took off.

phpBB 3.3.x allows for posts to have image "attachments", which would remove the need to use third-party image hosts and would keep better historical record of TH posts.

The site owners should work with their web host and/or someone knowledgeable to:
1. FIRST — backup the entire site. Don't do anything else until you have backed up TH fully.
2. Upgrade the server's PHP version to at least 7.2.0 (and follow other important server-side requirements).
3. Follow the steps in this documentation to upgrade to phpBB 3.3.x.

Best of success on this upgrade, should you choose to do so!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
phpBB 3.3.x allows for posts to have image "attachments", which would remove the need to use third-party image hosts and would keep better historical record of TH posts.

Storing images and attachments costs money. Using a third party host doesn’t add cost for TH’s owner.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is woefully out of date and doesn't always get along well with some of the newer browsers, but I decided long ago that wasn't going to change here. I think I even asked a similar question about it being updated years ago, and nothing changed.

So, yeah, it looks dated, but it works most of the time, and oddly, seems fairly stable despite the long number of new security threats since this code was 'current' instead of an 'antique' in 2024.

But, it works, and it's the people and conversations here that really matter, so... build a better mousetrap, or enjoy this one.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all:

Thanks for the discussion on the site and its current implementation.

There is a plan in-place to upgrade the site and that process is partially complete. It has been much slower than I would like - it has been hard to find the necessary time to accomplish the work.

However, the upgrade is to include:

1) Updating the software running the forum itself, likely to the latest version of PHPBB but that's not set in stone.
2) Adoption of a responsive format which plays nicely on mobile devices, which currently comprise 40-60% of the site's traffic.
3) Feature additions to the Marketplace section.
4) Miscellaneous enhancements and graphic overhaul.

I can only apologize for the length of time it has taken me to complete this work. Perhaps I need to simply take a week off the dayjob and dedicate that to completing this. I'm optimistic that user experience will improve substantially when I'm done! I've been running this site since 1996 and don't plan to stop now.

Thanks for the interest.

Best,
-td
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
I can only apologize for the length of time it has taken me to complete this work. Perhaps I need to simply take a week off the dayjob and dedicate that to completing this.

As I said once before in another thread, you don't need to apologize; we need to reiterate our sincere gratitude for your dedication and generosity.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
As I said once before in another thread, you don't need to apologize; we need to reiterate our sincere gratitude for your dedication and generosity.

+1.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald - no need apologize, it’s tough to work a day job AND manage a website, AND work up a major upgrade. Thanks for all you do.

Another +1,
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: