• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

weight on bottom lip for downstream + horn angle & legs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babe Raham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: weight on bottom lip for downstream + horn angle & legs Reply with quote

As a IIIB, if my horn angle is too high which doesn't let my jaw move foward as I would lose a leg on my top lip. The only ways I can play with with a more forward jaw position/higher horn angle I would either have to play deep in the bottom red (as my horn angle rises, I need to place higher to feel my legs on my top lip) or switch to a type 4 with 2 legs on my bottom lips instead of 2 legs on my top, the type 4 embouchure gives me more range at the cost of flexibility and quality of sound. For my normal embouchure I have to use a lower angle to keep my legs on my top lip, I find that putting a little more weight on my bottom lip helps me a little as I don't need my jaw to be in a very receded position.

Is more weight on the bottom lip correct for downstram embouchures?
Thoughts on horn angle affecting my legs?
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice is to take a lesson with a Reinhardt teacher but (correct me if I'm wrong) I see you're talking about multiple placements and also to go from a IIIB to a type IV? In my case (IIIA here) my priority is always to feel the legs and I don't worry too much about horn angle, but that's just me, and I never think about changing my placement and experiment with other types.
Babe Raham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanc wrote:
The best advice is to take a lesson with a Reinhardt teacher but (correct me if I'm wrong) I see you're talking about multiple placements and also to go from a IIIB to a type IV? In my case (IIIA here) my priority is always to feel the legs and I don't worry too much about horn angle, but that's just me, and I never think about changing my placement and experiment with other types.

Yes, I can go to a type IV however it is not something I usually do while I practice. With my normal embouchure, my angle does affect how I feel my legs. I try to keep my angle to where I best feel my legs while playing.

Also I am still unsure if more weight on the bottom is correct for downstream embouchures.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More weight on the bottom is a good approach for all types.
Stability, or four legs, comes from a combination of finding the right angle, jaw position, and forward/backward pressure.

I would not suggest intentionally switching between IIIB and IV although I have known players who did exactly that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: