• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

10 years away, coming back with Stevens-Costello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozenaldingus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: 10 years away, coming back with Stevens-Costello Reply with quote

Hey all!

I knew about this site back in high school, but I've yet to post until now.

Got through about 2 years of a Music Education degree before health complications had me looking elsewhere. I was good at reproducing the dots on the page, but not so good at improvisation or composition.

It's been a little over 10 years- maybe 12- but I'm back. Re-teaching myself music theory from a less diatonic-centric perspective and loving it (counting tones in dozenal is a trip).

For now, my trumpet material is working out of the Stevens-Costello book each day. This thing has been more informative than anything I remember studying growing up. I can just about get through pages 44-46 without feeling like I have to repeat poorly-executed sections (except ex. 7. That one is... difficult...)- tho my standards are lower than they were in college; I'm just trying to confidently get the notes out at this point. Tone and accuracy are a focus. Gotta continue getting the lips in shape. Today's squeaks are tomorrow's notes, as they say.

This post is little more than me keeping the hype going.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this site alive over the years!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the party.

Sounds like you've got a much stronger foundation on which to build than those of us who were nominal high school musicians and put the horn down for 25+ years.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey.
dozenaldingus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
Welcome to the party.

Sounds like you've got a much stronger foundation on which to build than those of us who were nominal high school musicians and put the horn down for 25+ years.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Many thanks, Jeff. I played lead for the Ohio State jazz band for about a year in my college times. Even tho I couldn't solo, it was wild. I miss playing lead sheets.

Stevens-Costello is an embouchure change for me. I used to play on the fleshy parts of my lips and topped out at an F on "good days". This is the F above the G on top of the staff <- that takes so many words to say. I know this tone as 63 nowadays; that's six-dozen-and-three, where 0 equals concert C0 in scientific pitch notation. Usually I pronounce "dozen" as "doh" tho- keeps it at least a bit musical and lines up with fixed doh concepts.

When I auditioned for Blue Devils (got cut, marched with the Academy out of Arizona that year playing Flugelhorn), there was a guy squeaking his lips pretty often. I thought it was a joke, but now that the internet is more dense than those days, I've found Stevens-Costello and am taking it seriousy. Roy Roman's videos have been a great help for answering little technique questions.

I've hit 80 eight-doh (Concert C8 in SPN.) a few times, but very squeakily. Not sure I could pull that off in a performance- certainly not in the context of a full tune.

Range isn't everything, but having the full range of the horn makes me feel I can focus less on being a range-hound and more on the music theory aspect. I want to be able to improv and get back to some lead sheets one day.

For now, I've got my book to work out of and community band practice starts toward the end of the month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: