• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Becoming a professional without a music degree

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
altamira_28
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this thread tonight, and was intrigued. I, too, am in the Army bands, but unlike some of my brethren that posted, have college experience in my belt. A LOT of it. College prepared me for this job like you would not believe. It got me comfortable in all genres, which, as an Army musician, you just need to know. Just on my CURRENT assignment, I've played in a dixie / trad band, jazz orchestra, wind ensemble, brass quintet, brass ensemble, and the rock band.

Does this guarantee me promotion? No frickin' way. Being a good worker means just as much. I have collateral duties, and need to do those competently as well. College actually prepared me for that, too. Working full time, music major full time... damn, guys, I'm glad that particular part of my life is over. I wouldn't trade anything for it. It's made me a very efficient worker, and (without tooting my own...) a very decent and versatile trumpet player.

I did gigs for my trumpet instructor while I was in college. They were mainly lead / split lead gigs, but I got a few legit gigs, too. They were hand-me-downs, but fantastic learning experiences. Not every college is situated for good gigs, but have great faculty.

My main weakness was my ride chops. Since I've been in, I've corrected the hell out of that, and my range is steadily increasing as well. I also play in at least four groups here outside of the Army, and like was stated before, will be more than glad to pass off a trumpet gig to someone other than myself that needs it, with no hesitation whatsoever.

There is a healthy balance to be had between street ed and college ed. I've gotten as much (if not more) street ed in the Army bands on combo and improv playing than I ever did in college. Keep in mind that I was classically trained, and my music school had NO jazz program, just a jazz band. I wouldn't give that experience up for anything, however, and maintain that you will learn all you need to learn if you're open enough to receive the knowledge.

Long answer to a relatively short question. You just need to decide what you hold most dear, and go for that, brother.

All my best,

Josh
XO Brass Tribune 1622 C Trumpet
Jupiter Tribune 1220 Bb Cornet
Jupiter 1700S
Monette B3S3, C3S3, B4LS1, B4LSS1, B4LVS1, BP6, Bob Reeves 43WF, Denis Wick 3B Heavy Top Cornet
Don Belcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in on this. Having been out of school and playing for years without a degree. As you are looking for "day jobs" and yes you'll need one unless you live in a major city and are the first call player for every group that needs a player the degree will help. It shows that you are capable of working through a long term project, willing to jump through the hoops and that you can follow directions.

Is a degree required? As many have said no it is not. But later in life (about 40) you'll find yourself back in school with 18 year olds going crazy at all the high school drama junk.
Solo Trumpet - Baytones Big Band
1st Trumpet - Saginaw Eddy Concert Band
Teus Nobel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming a professional without a music degree Reply with quote

TCEjazz wrote:
I'm interested in becoming a professional musician and previously assumed I needed a music degree but now I'm not so sure.

My private teacher wanted me to get a feel for what professional gigs were like so he recently invited me to sub with his big band. On the gig I met several local pros who told me that a lot of them don't even have music degrees.

So now I'm wondering if its plausible to make a living off music even without going to music school. I'm thinking that I can keep on taking private lessons from local musicians and try to pick up gigs until I become good enough to make a living off music. This way I can study a technical trade at a trade school so I have something to fall back on in case music doesn't work out.

Great that you're doing gigs and exploring your way into music business! The things you tell here sound like a decent way to do this, don't overrush things.

First of all, you should be aware of both definitions of the word 'professional' in the context of being a musician: A. a person who makes a living in music industry. B. a 'person who has his sh#t together', meaning: make it in time on gigs and rehearsals, material in order, prepared/practised for the job that day, social collegue and more things like that.

None of the aspects listed above REALLY require a music degree, do they?

However, music school is an effective way to focus on attaining and increasing your skills fast from a trained teacher and getting to know a lot of young musicians who will later become your 'network'.

But there are many ways to **** up the time you have in music school. I know conservatory students who weren't able to translate all the free time they had into actual practise. And I know 'amateur musicians' who were so dedicated and motivated to improve their skills in their spare free time that they overgrew numerous 'professionals'.

Just keep up the good work, subbing, sitting in with bands, getting to know the people of the scene in your region and more important: that they get to know YOU!

All the best,

Teus

Jazz artist and composer, based in the Netherlands

Albums: Flow (2012), Legacy (2014), Social Music (2016),
Journey Of Man (2019), Saudade (2019), Tanto Amor (2021),
Pleasure Is The Measure (2021), Human First (2023)

Last edited by Teus Nobel on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
kentjames

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several people who eek out a living in the music business. Traveling bands, mainly driving, not flying. Some of the best musicians I know are
retired military band members. These retired military players are
really, really good
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of musicians that I've worked with over my career didn't have a music degree. I work in the non-classical world, so I would bet in that genre the opposite might be true.

That being said, a music degree is a great thing to have, as long as you remember that it's just a piece of the puzzle-much of what you will need to learn is found in the working environment.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
The vast majority of musicians that I've worked with over my career didn't have a music degree. I work in the non-classical world, so I would bet in that genre the opposite might be true.

That being said, a music degree is a great thing to have, as long as you remember that it's just a piece of the puzzle-much of what you will need to learn is found in the working environment.

+1

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw Terence Blanchard and his e-collective last week, and of course they were amazing.

His drummer studied architecture, and his guitarist went to Stanford for agriculture. Blanchard did comment that he was the only one in his band who went to music school.

... for what it's worth.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t read all the replies, but as a college teacher who teaches majors and also at a college that doesn’t even have a music degree option…

My non majors are wonderful, brilliant people, and I love working with them. They don’t/can’t put the work in that’s necessary to be successful as a professional musician. You can do everything right and still not “break out” as a musician. It’s a confluence of fanatical preparation, good decisions, resources, and luck. I would think that would be a tall order without the structure, connections, and external push that attending college for music would provide.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that I didn't post to this thread when it first came around in 2013 because being a musician who never obtained a music degree, or any degree for that matter, it perhaps gives me some perspective, and the topic is IMO still relevant.

So, I don't have a music degree - I mentioned that above. I have a gigged for money since I was 17, and I spent 22 years worth of time in various aspects of the military band program, starting first by being in a base band, then going to a special military band with the Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps as a bugler, and then finally finishing my military band career with a couple of stints in the National Guard band program.

I have ALWAYS regretted that I didn't go to college for music. I've gigged a lot, and I'm a solid player, but I also know that when I look across my career with the things that I have done, I have a lot of holes in both my musical knowledge and ability, and I've had to work around those - there are gigs that I simply can't do because I either don't have the chops or I don't have the knowledge.

This doesn't mean that I can't or couldn't have worked to fill in those gaps on my own, but I think that most of those gaps would have been filled in had I gone through a rigorous program at a conservatory with instructors kicking my butt along the way to make sure that my technique was fully rounded out, and that I developed things like the ability to read changes and solo in a jazz setting. I "can" do it, but not very well.

It's a personal flaw of mine that I tend to be a "path of least resistance" kind of a guy, and I never addressed some of those gaps in my playing because for the gigging I wanted to do, I didn't really need to, but in hindsight I know I could have done more with it if I had gone through the process of getting a music degree.

I know - your milage may vary - for anyone on the fence about whether or not they think they need to get the degree, just go do it - even if you don't wind up being any better than you would have otherwise been, at least you have the pedigree that shows that you paid your academic dues.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his book of essays, Palm Sunday, Kurt Vonnegut made an interesting observation about formal instruction and those who "make it," within the context of gradutate education in writing (MFA).

I forget whether it was Vonnegut himself or a colleague who laid out a basic triage scenario - that about a third of the class was so talented and so driven they would find ways to get published and make a living no matter if they went to school or not. Another third simply did not have the chops, and no matter what they did, they would not be successful

The real value of the MFA, he said, was for that middle third, those with fairly good chops but for whom the formal structure and networking was the difference.

That may or may not translate to music, but as a rock critic, I met lots of succesful musicians who were not music majors. I think jazz trumpet may be way more rarified, but if you have enough chops, charm and chutzpah, it can happen...with a little luck.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a lifetime as a full-time professional musician. I worked in a variety of musical fields - Classical, Jazz, Soul, Pop - on trumpet, French Horn, composer, arranger, conductor, flute, S, A, T saxes. I have a DMA. I never regretted my formal education and, yet, never had a job because I had a Doctorate.

I worked with others with Doctorates and with others with no higher education, at all. Great drummer Ed Soph was an English major. Great lead trumpeter Galen Jeter was a Biology Major. Another friend of mine played with the Philadelphia Orch. for at least 40 years has a non-Music Degree. (He couldn't pass theory-go figure). The list goes on.

I have also had a lot of colleagues with no formal musical education, certainly not at the university level yet they blew their a**es off.

Whether, and how much formal education one needs, depends on the kind of musical fields you want to get hired in. In educational and most orchestral positions, a formal education is just the starting point. In popular-music fields it's just how you play.

I'll say this, regardless of the aspect of music you want to perform in - you will never have a condensation of many teachers from all musical disciplines in such a concentrated time and space as you will in music school. So, you can shorten your learning time, considerably.

Regarding my Doctorate, I got that for ME. I wanted the extra knowledge, not for job qualification.

Now, as an aside, I read on internet forums and in other conversations, a reverse snobbery regarding higher education - the "educated idiot' syndrome, and while there certainly are those whose heads are in the clouds so much that practicality is at a loss - and there are those educated people who look down their noses on the "unwashed masses", I'm convinced that most of the people who are guilty of this reverse prejudice are just trying to cover up their own insecurities. So be careful what you read and make sure it's recieved for all the right reasons.

One word about costs. IMO, educational costs in this country have spiraled out of control. You can't "just" go to school anymore; you need to have a masterful plan on how to organize your debt. Community colleges and state colleges should be looked at first. School financial aid and work-study programs. Working for a year as a "civilian" in order to qualify for in-state tuition if it's i a school outside your district. Have a plan that is wide-eyed open.

(Wow. Captain Kirk lives.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Mathes, the most gifted musician I've ever met in my life has no degree. He started out at Berklee but didn't finish. He did study orchestration and counterpoint privately with Myron Fink.
Rob is the son of 2 classically trained musicians.
Rob has written, arranged and produced for a list that's longer than Al Capone's rap sheet. He's won an Emmy for music direction of The Kennedy Center Awards Show. He was nominated for a Tony for orchestrating the music for Sting's Broadway Musical.
One evening a few years back I was watching The Grammy Awards. Springsteen was performing, I noticed a familiar figure conducting a string section. It was Rob. The man is so gifted it's almost scary. Nicest guy as well and proud to call him a friend. Just saw him a few days ago.
BTW. Several times I've had the opportunity to meet Jimmy Webb. He told me the most gifted musician he's ever met is Glen Campbell. The man couldn't read music and carved out an incredible career. Jimmy also told me that Rob is in his top 5. Degree!!! We don't need no stinking degree!!!!!!
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
We saw Terence Blanchard and his e-collective last week, and of course they were amazing.

His drummer studied architecture, and his guitarist went to Stanford for agriculture. Blanchard did comment that he was the only one in his band who went to music school.

... for what it's worth.

Herbie Hancock studied engineering in college.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original question of 10 years ago....

Quote:
I'm interested in becoming a professional musician and previously assumed I needed a music degree but now I'm not so sure....So now I'm wondering if its plausible to make a living off music even without going to music school.

You don't need a music degree, or any degree for that matter, to be a professional musician. You just need to be good enough that people are willing to pay you to play. And if you want to make a living as a musician, you need to be consistently good enough that you can put together enough gigs to do so. And you need to know about the gigs, and you need to be the kind of person people want to play with....Thus, it is possible.

It seems to me that a better question than "is it plausible?" is "how do I make it easiest to develop a career as a professional musician?" Getting a degree in music -- and thus developing the skills, knowledge, experience and networks that will facilitate success -- is surely on a short list of the best ways.

I'll also add that someone who is not getting a degree in music, but is studying privately and playing gigs, is competing against those who are doing those same things PLUS getting a degree in music, and thus learning far more of potential value than just being good at their instrument.

Finally, if you don't live in a city where there are a lot of gigs, you might need to supplement income by teaching. You don't need a degree to teach privately, of course, but even teaching privately is a lot easier if you have name recognition from being an adjunct at the local community college, tutoring at schools, etc., (all of which pay, however modestly).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Finally, if you don't live in a city where there are a lot of gigs, you might need to supplement income by teaching. You don't need a degree to teach privately, of course, but even teaching privately is a lot easier if you have name recognition from being an adjunct at the local community college, tutoring at schools, etc., (all of which pay, however modestly).

It's a tough business. When I returned to the U.S. from Germany, I took for granted that I could have a ready "stable" of private students.

I first called a former classmate of mine who was the school district music supervisor. Instead of getting a ready-made jump start on pupils, he told me that every kid in his school district got private lessons for free. There was a list of approved teachers already encrusted and trying to be successful at picking up school-aged students, well - good luck.

So. then I decided to see who my competition was on a broader outreach and the first guy I came across was Tony Campise, who, along with playing lead alto with Kenton's band, was extremely well-experienced. To boot, he was selling reeds in some music store. I was a good lead alto player but not at Campise's caliber or experience. Fuggetaboutit.

So, even with giving private lessons, it doesn't always come easy.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a piece of paper from a reputable university that says I know how to play trumpet. It has never gotten me any gigs. How I play is what got me the gigs I've played.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How inspirational. Thank you, Jeff.
I would love to know how his family (Korean?) landed on Manhattan's lower east side versus, e.g., California or Hawai'i..

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I have a piece of paper from a reputable university that says I know how to play trumpet.

Unfortunately not all who have a piece of paper are of equal skill level. While talent alone doesn’t get you there, musicians who mostly rely on formal training and music theory instead of an inner ‘feel’ for music are coming up short as well imho. Sadly, a piece of paper does encourage a level of respect that some who have it cannot live up to, and some who don’t have it need to earn again and again.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: