• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When to move to 2 practice sessions per day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace9848

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: When to move to 2 practice sessions per day Reply with quote

Hello! I began my comeback a month ago. I'm 49, in good health, including exercise. (I've barely played since college in 1998). I have been using David Hickman's 100 progressive studies, to not just "comeback" but to do so with corrected embouchure issues that I wanted to correct "back in the day" (flat chin, playing in the red.) In that regard, I understand that progress will be more slow (comeback AND embouchure change together), and am being patient and just enjoying playing the instrument, even though I can do only a fraction of what I used to be able to do, playing entirely below tuning note C.

Right now, my practice sessions span only about 20-25 minutes, and at that point, it is obvious that I shuold be "warming down" and putting the instrument away. I keep my chin flat without thinking about it, and now the mouthpiece sits "where it should" and works well within my limited range and endurance, also without having to force it to that placement. I like the sound I am getting an a Stork 3C.

At what point would it be advantageous to do an additional session per day? Is this adviseable when my embouchure muscles still feel the "burn" as I approach the end of the exercises? (The burn is from continuous playing, not pushing range.) I want to balance due patience, with making progress. I am willing to wait, but want to hear some thoughts about whether a second session would "overdo it" with muscles so new to functinoing in this new way. Thoughts?

Thanks!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do another practice session and keep using good embouchure technique and mental focus, then I think it would be fine.

About your practice range being C in the staff and below -

I recollect some discussion about the need to extend higher - to learn the technique for higher notes, when you can do that with good technique (not depend on excessive rim pressure, or tight stretched 'smile' lips).

The reasoning is that if you spend too much time on the low and middle range, you train yourself to be dependent on that embouchure and air usage, resulting in the needs of higher notes to feel 'wrong', or more difficult to incorporate into your total technique.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation coming back now, having played about 6 weeks.

I think it's fine to play multiple times a day- this is confirmed in an article written by Vincent Bach where he mentions playing 20-25 minutes with 2-3 hour breaks being sufficient to start up again. Of course the main issue is not to strain, and rest within the 20-25 minute sessions or even shorter practice sessions.
https://www.bachloyalist.com/mouthpiece/mouthpieces_choose.htm

I can't find it now but either Herbert Clarke in 'Elementary Studies' says it or I read from another reputable source to concentrate on the lower and middle register. I'm usually only up to C in the staff occasionally getting to E when I'm rested, but I'm not young so that may have something to do with it.

I think Clarke mentions practicing long tones to build up embouchure, but in any case getting a consistent clear in tune sound is a main objective for me right now. I'm recording my playing with an iphone from time to time and it seems a good way to track progress.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right now, my practice sessions span only about 20-25 minutes, and at that point, it is obvious that I shuold be "warming down" and putting the instrument away.

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Particularly at this stage ("restart"), you should stop before you feel tired. Bad habits can creep in quickly when chops get tired, and can be very difficult to undo. If it is obvious that you should be stopping at a particular point -- presumably because your chops are signaling that you are tired -- stop a few minutes sooner. Don't be in a hurry.

Quote:
At what point would it be advantageous to do an additional session per day?

Right now. If you are feeling tired in your first session after 20-25 minutes, stop by 20 minutes (sooner, if necessary). Then add a second session of 15 minutes at least several hours later in the day and see what happens. Scale that second session back to 10 minutes if needed. Build gradually from there. You can do a LOT of good in just 10 minutes. For example, take something like Clarke's Second Technical Study or one of the Arban chord/arpeggio studies and play it through your comfortable range. Vary tonguing, articulation and slur patterns.

Good luck!
ace9848

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Interesting read Reply with quote

Very interesting read. It is interesting that, regarding rim choice, Vincent Bach gives the exact oppositve advice of Phyllis Stork. (Stork states wide rim for thin lips, Bach states wide rim for thick lips).

That being said, I appreciated your input and recommendation of the article - very informative and useful!

Rhondo wrote:
I'm in a similar situation coming back now, having played about 6 weeks.

I think it's fine to play multiple times a day- this is confirmed in an article written by Vincent Bach where he mentions playing 20-25 minutes with 2-3 hour breaks being sufficient to start up again. Of course the main issue is not to strain, and rest within the 20-25 minute sessions or even shorter practice sessions.
https://www.bachloyalist.com/mouthpiece/mouthpieces_choose.htm

I can't find it now but either Herbert Clarke in 'Elementary Studies' says it or I read from another reputable source to concentrate on the lower and middle register. I'm usually only up to C in the staff occasionally getting to E when I'm rested, but I'm not young so that may have something to do with it.

I think Clarke mentions practicing long tones to build up embouchure, but in any case getting a consistent clear in tune sound is a main objective for me right now. I'm recording my playing with an iphone from time to time and it seems a good way to track progress.

ace9848

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your helpful words! Much appreciated!

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
Right now, my practice sessions span only about 20-25 minutes, and at that point, it is obvious that I shuold be "warming down" and putting the instrument away.

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Particularly at this stage ("restart"), you should stop before you feel tired. Bad habits can creep in quickly when chops get tired, and can be very difficult to undo. If it is obvious that you should be stopping at a particular point -- presumably because your chops are signaling that you are tired -- stop a few minutes sooner. Don't be in a hurry.

Quote:
At what point would it be advantageous to do an additional session per day?

Right now. If you are feeling tired in your first session after 20-25 minutes, stop by 20 minutes (sooner, if necessary). Then add a second session of 15 minutes at least several hours later in the day and see what happens. Scale that second session back to 10 minutes if needed. Build gradually from there. You can do a LOT of good in just 10 minutes. For example, take something like Clarke's Second Technical Study or one of the Arban chord/arpeggio studies and play it through your comfortable range. Vary tonguing, articulation and slur patterns.

Good luck!

ace9848

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your words of advice. I think you have shared some good ideas. I'm being careful about not pushing too high too fast, but also agree that there could be danger of "cementing" a "low-range-specific" embouchure as well. I'm sure there is a balance that I will be trying to find as I proceed. Thank you very much!

JayKosta wrote:
If you can do another practice session and keep using good embouchure technique and mental focus, then I think it would be fine.

About your practice range being C in the staff and below -

I recollect some discussion about the need to extend higher - to learn the technique for higher notes, when you can do that with good technique (not depend on excessive rim pressure, or tight stretched 'smile' lips).

The reasoning is that if you spend too much time on the low and middle range, you train yourself to be dependent on that embouchure and air usage, resulting in the needs of higher notes to feel 'wrong', or more difficult to incorporate into your total technique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: