• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting up to scratch after braces off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElectroMyoGram

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Getting up to scratch after braces off? Reply with quote

Hi, this is a topic that has been asked before and will probably asked again.
I got my braces off about a week and a half ago, and I essentially have no stamina and very bad accuracy. In a week and a half's time, I am signed up to be playing in a holiday course youth orchestra which is around grade 8+ level.
I, of course, auditioned before my braces were off at which point as was at a level of which I could play repertoire around Arutiunian Trumpet Concerto level and similar. However, obviously I now am pretty helpless. I've seen some improvement since I got my braces off, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be at the right standard before I have to play in the orchestra.
At the moment, I'm considering just apologising the youth orchestra team and asking if I can join next term etc.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on exercises or approach (I imagine a huge number of trumpeters have gone through pretty much the same processes as me right now) on how to improve quickly, and if I should call off the course. Thank you!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you don't have a trumpet teacher, which is a real shame. You need one.

Having your braces off = a PROFOUND change in your face and therefore your embouchure. the ONLY thing you can do is to carefully work to reset your embouchure. That means only doing fundamentals, getting a good sound, doing flow studies/exercises, flexibility and gently regaining your range.

Essentially, you are relearning how to blow the trumpet. It can be done and IS done every day across the world. I have worked professionally with players who get braces, work through the issues, play non-stop just fine and then keep on going post braces. Most of my students do this and come out the other end just fine as well. It takes time and patience. So you are not alone.

As for the course, tell them what's happened and ask for some consideration in part allocation, such as lower parts, etc.

Of course, next time - leave the braces for an extra month (which will do no harm) get the music camp over and done with and then get them off...

cheers

Andy
Bachatit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my braces removed many years ago and it took me 6+ months to get back to the point I was before I had braces placed. No magic for me: daily routine, etudes, etc. but the main ingredient was PATIENCE.

My brother's experience was different. Braces did not seem to affect his playing much and his recovery was much quicker. I suspect that recovery time is related to how much braces affected his playing.

Best, V

Last edited by Bachatit on Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure my experience is relevant now, since modern braces are radically different than the medieval torture devices they were in the 80's.

That said, I still remember feeling like my teeth were 'loose and about to fall out' when I first got the braces off and tried to figure out how to play without them, even though I hated every day they were on.

It will get better, that's pretty much a given, provided you don't throw in the towel. And if your orthodontist did a good job, chances are you'll be better off in the long run, both in terms of having nicer looking teeth, and a smoother 'platform' to build an embouchure on top of.

Compared to getting used to playing with them newly installed, playing without braces feels weird, but is arguably far easier to adjust to.

Last edited by RandyTX on Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just plop the horn on your face and practice, this is a reset opportunity. Be intentional and try a bunch of different "exposures" and even make them up as you go. When I got my braces off it was a major reset and within a week I was right up at the top of the section again and arguably better. Also, make sure not to play in the red of the lips as this tends to be a large problem for people with or freshly off braces.
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
It sounds as if you don't have a trumpet teacher, which is a real shame. You need one.

What he said.

As for some exercises, Chicowitz flow studies worked wonders for me when I got mine off. Clarke 1 as well for some flow and Clarke 2 focusing on tone. Fundamentals are key when trying to recondition to play without braces.[/b][/quote]
ElectroMyoGram

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about a month later now and after all this advice, I definitely feel that I've improved massively. I don't necessarily feel as good as before but it's only been a month and I understand I have to be patient. My range, accuracy and tone have all improved so thanks guys for all your advice, it definitely helped.
It feels fun to play trumpet again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: