• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 184ML Trigger Removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortymctrpt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Bach 184ML Trigger Removal Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have a Bach 184ML that I use in a brass band. I am considering having the trigger removed and replaced with a saddle. I am worried that it will affect the sound or the way the horn responds. Has anyone done this and what were the results?

Thanks!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my trigger removed and it made the instrument more open and free blowing.

My 184 is a large bore, so... it's a bit too free blowing for me in my current state as a player, now. Back when I played seriously and practiced a lot, it probably would have been ideal.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the trigger removed and replaced with a Bach saddle 30 years ago.. I did it so my cornet was set up like my Bb, I didn't like the feel or action of the trigger vs. a saddle.. Was pleasantly surprised that the cornet played more freely, a more warm resonant tome. I attribute the change with the removal of the bracing of the trigger mechanism; my take/no science.
I have found that I like having a crook weight on the first valve slide now that it doesn't have the trigger mechanism - seems to help with notes atop the staff ("A" especially)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach 184 in Brass Band for many years.

I hated the trigger on that horn, I found it really stiff and it took a lot of force to move the slide, so much force that I would bobble the note.

If that is why you want to remove the trigger, you might want to try something else first.

I took my trigger assembly apart and used a pair of diagonal pliers (wire cutters) to cut the spring so that only 1 side wrapped around the support post. That effectively reduced the spring force by 50%

That greatly improved the trigger, and I continued to play the horn that way for another couple of years, until I switched to an Adams CN2 cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: