• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charlie Porter on the three compressions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickynuggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whelp, there's a lot to unpack here...

FWIW, I don't think the original video linked is still usable... At least, I couldn't access it at work.

That said, I recently watched one of Charlie's videos regarding range, wherein he described playing the harmonic series and backing off as you go higher, or something to that effect - trying not to use more air to go high - trying not to drive a dump truck like a sports car. Start with a dump truck, get smaller, end with a sports car, sort of thing.

I may not be describing it well, but it's been helping me with my extreme range (high F and above), without switching embouchures or fundamentals or anything I haven't already been doing for 20+ years. Just more practice on fundamentals/lip slurs/etc. He also mentioned exercises by Maurice Andre and others, which helped me.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Halflip, now we all know how that compression really works; whether via "sciency" explanations, or real plain English explanations, along with videos actually showing how it works too!!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Halflip, now we all know how that compression really works; whether via "sciency" explanations, or real plain English explanations, along with videos actually showing how it works too!!

Well then, if a video claims it, and a high note is provided on said video, then any stated claims regarding additional "compression", (or anything else) must be true.

So then, only another video playing an even higher note will disprove any of Charlie's "compression" claims. Correct?
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No because he can play as high as he wants to. The guy just showed us how it's done. Why don't you do a video & show us how you feel it should be done via your compression methods or ideas as to what compression is & how it works?
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why don't you do a video & show us how you feel it should be done via your compression methods or ideas as to what compression is & how it works?

perhaps in time

but, There is no point. I made no comments or disagreements as to his claims of "how". But his video title is not "this is how I do it" and I did not respond with "that's NOT how its done". It is titled "The Three compressions". Ok. Let's talk about compression, you brought it up.

Again, you must believe that for mechanics to be discussed that only those who can provide acceptable playing examples must be granted any credence to their claims. Duly noted!

There are indeed ideological "air mechanics" constructs that abound in the instructional language of brass. It also obviously appears that there is a strong emotional bond to these by many (yourself included) to these "accepted" and even venerated ideas.

Any criticism, or even discussion of ACTUAL mechanics is obviously received as a personal attack. It was NEVER intended to be and that should be evident.

Quote:
That's all well & good. But don't try & "correct" these people in a rude, condescending, & smug way.

Right..

I actually try to stay on point and specific with disagreements. I don't just say "I have a degree and you don't !" I have not criticized anyone's playing or made any claims about my own, that leverage accomplishes nothing in a technical discussion. I strive to discuss the salient point with accuracy and reasonable logic as to keep emotions and bias from muddying the discussion. Perhaps I have lost patience a bit on occasion. I am but human.

That being said, weigh my "rudeness" against the mockery and vitriol directed at me on this site that has been there from several posters through time. Even a few to the point of dismissal by the mods.

I've even been accused of being a bad player. EGADS!
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then play for us in a video & show us your ideas of what compression really and how it works. Thank you.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
... I'm just saying the it seems that Kalijah has a habit for lack of a better word of opposing what everyone says here just for the sake of opposing it...

I'm going to have to disagree with this. One might feel he's more blunt than necessary (although the people who criticize his input generally have no problem with bluntness of their own), but I don't think I've ever seen him disagree with something just for the sake of disagreeing. Quite the contrary - he's very consistent about finding fault with a certain fairly widespread habit trumpet teachers have of saying that we can speed up the air with the tongue, and that that increase in speed raises the pitch.

If you can find a case where he argues about something that's not factually based and backed up by specifics that he posts, go ahead and be my guest. I don't think you will.

Also, I don't think that citing something one can (and maybe should?) look up in a textbook requires making a video to prove or disprove it. Unless you're going to require him to make a video for every generally accepted scientific fact (like, say, gravity), I don't see why this is different.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe what you will. But hey, we're going to agree to disagree about this individual, so let's just back out of this & call it a day.

This post was edited by moderators. If you want to make personal attacks, go someplace else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: