• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording vs Olds Opera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
APatts1990

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording vs Olds Opera Reply with quote

Hi all!

Long time - First time.

I've gone through much of the threads on Olds instruments (specifically cornets), and I haven't be able to find any thread that compares Olds Recording cornets and Olds Opera cornets.

Have seen a couple of each floating around and have been wondering, what peoples thoughts are? Which cornet is better for all-around playing?

For reference, I'm definitely more of an ensemble player - No matter what cornet I've played over the years, I've never had issues with blending (whether in brass band, concert band, etc.).

Thanks for any help!
John Packer JP152 C-Trumpet
1955 Olds Recording Cornet
Besson Sovereign 928
Yamaha YFH 6310
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread thought, and welcome to TrumpetHerald.

I've looked online fairly seriously tonight and have not found one Olds Opera Cornet for sale. Not at Ebay, Reverb, Google Shopping...Nothing! Not even CenTex Brass, a great TH supporter.

I've had 3 or 4 Olds Recording Cornets, and to my way of thinking they are a superb cornet. Quite compact (especially for not having a Shepherds Crook) and a real joy to play. Dark but not dead; they are certainly one of my favorite cornets. Of course I like the Olds Special Cornet VERY much, and I've got a great Olds Super Cornet now.

I just got my first Olds Opera a few months back - but it's a trumpet. The trumpet is large bore, and I did notice that the Olds Opera Cornet is listed in the old ads as 'Extra Large Bore'; they're a fairly big blow. The trumpet version has a modest size bell though, which makes it not only manageable but also pleasurable. And the tone... Dark, big, and hauntingly lovely. Now you've got me wondering about the Olds Opera Cornet. Hopefully someone will pitch in soon.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Great thread thought, and welcome to TrumpetHerald.

I've looked online fairly seriously tonight and have not found one Olds Opera Cornet for sale. Not at Ebay, Reverb, Google Shopping...Nothing! Not even CenTex Brass, a great TH supporter.

Indeed. Even just finding a photo of one on Google Images has proven to be quite challenging.

According to this thread, Trent Austin played an Opera Cornet in the past. Since he has played many horns in his life, he may be able to share how it compares to a Recording cornet. You could try contacting him directly about your question.

As to which cornet is better for all-around playing, probably the one you can actually find and buy .
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
APatts1990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both!

I may end up going with the Recording, seems to be a very good offer (based on what I've seen lately). Will likely report back in the new year.

@JonathanM - There was an Opera listed on a Facebook group. But it was an older post than I thought. The list was showing as pending so I reached out but got no response. Also, love your vids.

@stuartissimo - Thanks for the other thread link, there's so much on here it's sometimes hard to narrow things down. Reminds me of a couple of years ago when i got my King Legend trumpet and I scoured the forums....

Best,
Aaron
Besson Sovereign 928
Yamaha YFH 6310
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played, owned, and enjoyed all the "catalogue" of Olds cornets from the late LA and Fullerton period, except for the Mendez, and having written the Opera review on the Olds Central site, it boils down to a personal choice. I sold the Opera (went through several, some better than others) and presently have a Fullerton and LA Recording cornet (Fullerton on the marketplace, for full disclosure).

Honestly, the first Opera I had was a pretty early Fullerton model, and was an easy playing horn, good for technical solos or section playing, but not as "expressive" as the Recording.
I did have a couple that didn't seem as agile as that first one.

Also, full disclosure, I found the Opera, with it's great big mute swallowing bell to be not all that different than my Olds tri-color Special. Find one with the 3rd slide set up for tuning the low D and C#. If you get the Opera, you will need a set of mutes with more cork on them, too.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
APatts1990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

Just thought I'd update:

Ended up getting a Recording corne from @huntman10 (a wonderful seller to do business with)!

I brought it out to my church brass band tonight, and it is absolutely amazing! I usually play a Besson 928 Sovereign and the Recording seems to play a bit easier - I felt less tired at the end of rehearsal than usual!

The Olds blends really well with the section (not something I've every had an issue with), and I think using a flugel mouthpiece really helps that. The Recording has the larger receiver so my trusty GR 64 FL fits perfectly. To note, I've been using the GR FL piece for years in cornets - just fitting in the receiver without issue (because I never ended up getting a cornet mouthpiece). So having a horn that fits the mouthpiece is just an added bonus!

Thanks again @huntman10!

Happy playing all![/quote]
Besson Sovereign 928
Yamaha YFH 6310
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I enjoyed our communications, too!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Recording cornet only casually, when trying out one that belonged to a friend, but I played an Opera extensively, so I'll speak to the Opera other than to say that the Recording that I played (and heard a lot while sitting next to) played and sounded like a good cornet.

The Opera that I had was like something from another planet that was imbued with super powers. It took what it was given and created an output that could be startling. I handed it to a principal player from a first-class orchestra who was slumming/sitting-in with a community group, and he had the same immediate feeling that I had. It interested him enough that he borrowed it for a week to really get into it.

He returned it wishing that he could have had a use for it.

The horn came to me rather than me finding it. I had no real use for it at the time, and I didn't spend any time trying to find the right mpcs or tweaks that might tame it.

I sold it at a premium price on ebay (shudder) to a player/collector in Australia several years, thinking that if I were playing in a Dixie band, that might be the perfect fit.

Well, I'm playing in a Dixie band, and among three Conns and one Holton, I'm always wondering how that Opera cornet would fit in.

—Denny

- forgot to mention going back to an an earlier poster, yes, I had to have a set of mutes (cup, harmon, and straight) corked specifically for the Opera cornet.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APatts1990 wrote:

The Olds blends really well with the section (not something I've every had an issue with), and I think using a flugel mouthpiece really helps that. The Recording has the larger receiver so my trusty GR 64 FL fits perfectly. To note, I've been using the GR FL piece for years in cornets - just fitting in the receiver without issue (because I never ended up getting a cornet mouthpiece). So having a horn that fits the mouthpiece is just an added bonus!
[/quote]

Glad to hear I'm not alone in using a flugelhorn "large Morse" taper MP in older Olds cornets. I have a Yamaha Bobby Shew FL mouthpiece that works really well in mine.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
APatts1990

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jeirvine"]
APatts1990 wrote:

The Olds blends really well with the section (not something I've every had an issue with).....

Glad to hear I'm not alone in using a flugelhorn "large Morse" taper MP in older Olds cornets. I have a Yamaha Bobby Shew FL mouthpiece that works really well in mine.

Honestly, it if fits and doesn't cause any crazy tuning or intonation issues, then why not?

I've also used this mouthpiece for about 15 years, and it's made going back and forthe between cornet and flugel super easy.
Besson Sovereign 928
Yamaha YFH 6310
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: