• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anaheim Band Instruments/the loss of walk-in stores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Anaheim Band Instruments/the loss of walk-in stores Reply with quote

30+ years ago, somewhere in Orange County in California, I remember going into a medium large sized store filled with quite a few used trumpets you could pick up and try out. My memory tells me there was a line of several or more small rooms on one wall where you could go in and test a horn.

I think this was where I bought my first trumpet, and when I see the name 'Anaheim Band Instruments', that sounds familiar and it seems quite possible the store that I remember was in Anaheim.

Doing a search for used brass instruments in Orange County now, 'Anaheim Band Instruments' pops up, but also Music & Arts- which is now at the location where Anaheim Band Instruments used to be. Does anyone know if Music & Arts is in the same building or anything else about the transition?

A 2013 thread here mentions the owner of ABI retired at that time:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1291217

That said- How many brick & mortar stores like this still exist in the US?
Dillons Music? Austin Custom Brass? I know Steve Dillard at horntrader in San Diego does showings by appointment. What else?

Online shopping is a great convenience, but I think we lost something with the disappearance of brick & mortar stores. Maybe the store I miss most is Tower Records, where I would often spend an hour or more browsing.
MisterBighorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
That said- How many brick & mortar stores like this still exist in the US? Dillons Music? Austin Custom Brass? I know Steve Dillard at horntrader in San Diego does showings by appointment. What else?

Maybe try re-posting this under Horns or The Lounge?

In the U.S. ...
- Thompson Music in Omaha, Nebraska
- Milano Music in Mesa, Arizona
- Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, Maryland
- Brass Instrument Workshop in Marietta, Georgia
- Florida Trumpets in Tamarac, Florida
- Schmitt Music Trumpet Shop in Bloomington, Minnesota
- Baltimore Brass in Catonsville, MD
- Virtuosity Musical Instruments in Boston
- J. Landress Brass in NYC
- The Trumpet Shop in Webster, NY (if they're still open, the owner must be in his 90s)
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterBighorn wrote:
Rhondo wrote:
That said- How many brick & mortar stores like this still exist in the US? Dillons Music? Austin Custom Brass? I know Steve Dillard at horntrader in San Diego does showings by appointment. What else?

Maybe try re-posting this under Horns or The Lounge?

You’re right; I forgot about placing it in an appropriate category while posting. Is it possible to move it, or would I need to make a new post?

Thanks for your list.

In the U.S. ...
- Thompson Music in Omaha, Nebraska
- Milano Music in Mesa, Arizona
- Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, Maryland
- Brass Instrument Workshop in Marietta, Georgia
- Florida Trumpets in Tamarac, Florida
- Schmitt Music Trumpet Shop in Bloomington, Minnesota
- Baltimore Brass in Catonsville, MD
- Virtuosity Musical Instruments in Boston
- J. Landress Brass in NYC
- The Trumpet Shop in Webster, NY (if they're still open, the owner must be in his 90s)
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Ferguson in Pasadena, CA by appointment: https://hornguys.com/pages/locations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: