• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I need some help finishing my new book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: I need some help finishing my new book Reply with quote

Would anyone be willing to help me do the final edit of my new book? I'm pretty much done with all the ideas, instructions and references, but I'm having trouble with some articulation, formatting, punctuation and various other things. I'm not a writer per se, I'm more of a teacher and this is where I need help. Would anyone be interested?

John
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about for a fee or gratis?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem I'm having is that my previous book, which I self published, is being advertised worldwide and has sold hundreds of copies but I've not been paid. While I'm not happy about it, I'm glad that my material is being used
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Are you talking about for a fee or gratis?

I would be willing to pay for services rendered
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered doing something like sending the text to ChatGPT and have the AI take a crack at fixing it? If anything it might be faster…
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Have you considered doing something like sending the text to ChatGPT and have the AI take a crack at fixing it? If anything it might be faster…

While ChatGPT is ok with individual paragraphs, It has no Idea of the scope of my work. This is why I reached out for help as I needed a person who has knowledge of the work I'm trying to accomplish. I appreciate your suggestion!

John
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. How many pages is your book? What kind of a book? Mostly words or mostly exercises?

Are you just asking for editing help on punctuation and wording? You mentioned formatting - what are you using to create your book? 30 years ago I had some knowledge of Framemaker, an extensive program for creating complex documents. Our company had a number of people whose expertise was in document creation with Framemaker. Some formatting programs can require quite a bit of knowledge in order to use them effectively. I may have created the text for a section but another person took it and knew how to insert that text into the larger whole.

Though I am not a professional writer, I think that I have a decent command of the written, English language. My punctuation tends toward an older style using more commas than is popular today. I have written papers using appropriate style books for guidance.

But if you are trying to format text around musical examples, that is something different. I have a friend who has written mathematical textbooks and the tools he uses to insert equations, diagrams, etc. took him a lot of effort and years to develop.

My question summed up is: what kind of help are you asking for, exactly?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Holifield wrote:
It has no Idea of the scope of my work. This is why I reached out for help as I needed a person who has knowledge of the work I'm trying to accomplish.

We're kinda in the dark too. What exactly is the subject, and the help requested?

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: I need some help finishing my new book Reply with quote

John Holifield wrote:
... I'm pretty much done with all the ideas, instructions and references, but I'm having trouble with some articulation, formatting, punctuation and various other things. ...

---------------------
What text editor did you use to construct the written material, and the illustrations for the book?
Do you have some sort of 'draft copy' of the book? If not, how is your material organized - separate files, images, etc.

You mention 'articulation' - are you referring to 'tonguing stuff', or how to articulate your ideas into good written language.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many us us are still in the dark about your subject matter, the types of editing problems you anticipate, and the scope of your project. Might I suggest that you set aside a couple brief examples of the material you're writing about and offer to send them to those who are interested so that they might gain a more concrete idea of the task involved. Possibly you could offer a larger portion of your previous publication as well. I myself have 40 years of experience as a teacher of writing and as a technical editor. One thing I would caution against is engaging a committee of people for the job. For conistency and control, you need ONE individual.
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I've had a couple members respond to my plea for help, of which I'm very grateful! Not only did I, with their help, finish and publish my new book, but I was able to finish writing and completed my next book and publish it also. I really appreciate everyone's advice, I read everyone's comments, but I took the advice and help from the members who reached out to me.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: