• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you know if a student flugelhorn is “good enough”

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite an insightful thread, love the responses.

And I do agree, ideally I want my flugelhorn to sound as different from my trumpet as possible. Robert's sound is very nice for jazz but I kinda feel it's too trumpet-like for classical stuff if I were to play it like that.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of flugelhorn newbies think that since you can put a trumpet shank mouthpiece into the flugelhorn, you can just "get by" using your trumpet piece to play flugelhorn. But without a proper deep cup flugelhorn mouthpiece it will never sound right and likely will not be well in tune or have a proper flugelhorn attack.

Can't emphasize good mouthpiece choices too much to a beginner at flugelhorn doubling. You can likely find a piece with a rim that feels familiar, but the cup and shank need to be flugelhorn proper.

Also, there are a few good bargain Chinese flugs out there, usually the copies of the Yamaha YFH 632 G. Even so, I have seen a lot of quality control failures with those which prevents any possibility of these being true "professional" instruments. EBay is flooded with Indian made flugelhorns that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

My 2 cents.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few used Getzen Eterna flugelhorns that come up on eBay and/or Reverb from time to time. They're a good bargain, usually. I've had mine for 44 years and it's served me well in all kinds of settings.

It's probably viewed more as a doubler's flugel or even an advanced student flugel, mainly because of its trumpet-sized bore, but with the right mouthpiece, and more importantly, the right approach, it can sound like a flugel should for jazz or classical. And the valves and nickel-plated leadpipe last forever.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may depent on who you are going to play with. My brother was a professional classical trumpet player and he insisted that a small bore Couesnon was the only flugelhorn to have, or at least something in the same style. All of his professional buddies played small bore Couesnons. He gave me a lot of flak when I picked up a ML bore Benge 3 fllugelhorn (I traded a Besson 10-10 trombone and a king student trumpet for it). My non-pro friends thought the Benge sounded great when I played "Feels so Good". I found it easier to switch to a ML flugelhorn. The feels like a free blowing trumpet.

My point being, if I was going to play a gig a bar with my friends, any decent flugelhorn would probably do. I may need to be more picky if I was going to play a classical church gig.
'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I played trumpet for 2+ years 30 years ago, I added a Flugelhorn, playing it a few times in orchestra. I’m coming back now, and when I played before I wasn’t an advanced player by any means, but I had a good sound. Whatever Bach Flugel and mouthpiece I had, I remember it pretty much being a seamless transition from trumpet. The horn had a round broad dark sound I loved. I think Miles / Gil Evans recordings on flugelhorn was and is my ideal of what a flugelhorn should sound like.

Wish I could remember what Bach Flugel and mouthpiece I had. Bought and sold it for about $600 in 1993-‘94.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
EBay is flooded with Indian made flugelhorns that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

+1

In another thread, someone said they bought a $150 flugelhorn on Amazon. When I checked the listing and clicked on the link to the vendor store, I discovered that the vendor mainly sold brass cremation urns!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy!
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now listening to ‘Miles Ahead’ for the first time in a few years, the sound is a little different than I was remembering! Still great anyway…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: