• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Arban Resource

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: New Arban Resource Reply with quote

Hi friends! Just in time for the holidays, I put the final touches on a 4 week “crash course” through the Arban. I created this routine for myself first, as I was looking for ways to balance what has been an absolutely insane orchestral and performance schedule this past fall, and for my students who are learning to break down problems into procedures and look for the patterns of success. I also think anyone who has ever asked the question, “what should I practice?” or, “how should I practice?” or even, “why isn’t this getting better?” would all benefit. There’s also a little twist… well, actually a big twist. Because I include not just a trip through the important parts of Arban, but also flow, air, singing, sound quality, and inner musicianship. It’s all in there, in as structured a way as I’ve ever seen. It’s a little over 50 pages that break down each week into 5 practice days with page and exercise numbers from Arban, time caps and suggested rest allocations, and supplemental materials that are all included. If you do everything as prescribed, each day will take 60-120 minutes including rest. All you have to do is follow the written instructions and crack open your Arban. I am starting at a super cheap intro price, so it’s a pretty low risk proposition. It’s a heck of a lot cheaper than a new mouthpiece or trumpet!

One of the inspirations here was my experience as an (amateur… but reasonably successful!) athlete. I’ve seen and been through a lot of really wonderful progressive plans for CrossFit, triathlon, marathon running, bodybuilding, etc, but not seen so many for trumpet. And I know that nobody thinks I’m the best trumpeter out there, but I didn’t just make all of this up. It was born from working with some of the best trumpeters alive. I’m not going to name drop because I think that it’s kind of lame, but I’ve been very fortunate in my career to have access to these people.

You can buy it at the following link. It’s $20… one and a half Big Mac meals at McD’s.

https://square.link/u/Wc6Rs7AZ

Okay, plug complete. Thanks, and happy practicing!

Dr. Andrew Harms
Trumpet Faculty, Colby College

Last edited by andybharms on Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the opportunity to play through Week 1, Day 1. Good stuff! I like the content, approach and flow of each day.

I'd note that with some potential modifications to the time cap for each exercise the material in the book is generally suitable for a wide range of playing abilities. Also, anyone using the book does need Arban's method and Clarke's Technical Studies (which should be part of every player's collection, but worth noting).

Edit: You might consider including page numbers for the current Arban method (New Authentic Edition) instead of just the classic editions. For example, page 11 #13 in the classic edition is page 9 #11 in the current edition. Page 142 #48 in the classic edition is page 170 #48 in the current edition.

Kudos for a terrific book.
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, FYI, it somehow says your downloadable PDF has sold out on Etsy...
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Chicowicz! Those sold fast. I just put it at unlimited stock.

Re page numbers, yes! I should do that. I will try to get that done over the holiday.

I should also point out that the link to the Arban and Clarke are available on my web site, for free. That link is: http://www.andrewbharms.com/resources/materials/

As time goes on I plan on recording some of these exercises, especially ones that call for modifications.

Thanks, I really really appreciate your support. I sincerely hope this is a helpful thing for people.
HenryJam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good price for such valuable information. Thanks for the post!
SJB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! That's a ton of work and I'm excited to check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: