• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ralph Davella's "Trumpet Range, Endurance and Flexibili

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave2126

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Ralph Davella's "Trumpet Range, Endurance and Flexibili Reply with quote

I am a comeback player and recently purchased a book, "Trumpet Range, Endurance and Flexibility" by Ralph Davella, a long time student of Carmine Caruso. I've been practicing from this book for a few days and have noticed an improvement in tone. Am hoping that my upper register also improves through use of this book. Is anyone familiar with this book and know Ralph Davella?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the book discuss 'physical actions' that go into the playing upper register notes. Basically things such 'what needs to be happening with your lips for high notes'.

If a player's range is limited to about the G or A above the staff, to me that indicates not using 'good technique'. Trying to do exercises of higher notes while using incorrect technique is unlikely to be successful.

There is 'technique' involved, and it is different from that of low and middle range playing.

Probably the exercises in the book are fine, but the key is training yourself to have the skill to play them. Some people seem to 'just naturally' have that skill and use good technique, and are often unable to understand why it is such a struggle for others.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ralph Davella's "Trumpet Range, Endurance and Flexi Reply with quote

Dave2126 wrote:
Is anyone familiar with this book and know Ralph Davella?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is anyone familiar with this book and know Ralph Davella?

I have the book but I don't know Davella. The exercises in the book are conceptually similar to those in Caruso's "Musical Calisthenics for Brass" and Derasse's "A Sequel to Musical Calisthenics for Brass." The approach is a bit different as Davella is not as set on the Four Rules as Caruso was.

No doubt you've already noticed that some of the exercises are rather challenging for someone just returning to the horn, even in the first lesson (double pedal F#, octave slurs, trills above the staff). Modify them as needed.

Also, you are hopefully working on other material to help round out your practice. For instance, scale studies, tonguing and articulation. Arban's Method is a good source for that kind of material. Also, etudes and actual music. Getchell's "First Book of Practical Studies" or Hering's "50 Recreational Studies" would be a good starting point if you are newly returned to trumpet playing. If you've already been at it for a while, Getchell's "Second Book of Practical Studies" or Hering's "40 Progressive Etudes" or "38 Recreational Studies" might be a better starting point.

Edited to add: An alternative to the supplemental material mentioned above is Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons." It pairs quite well with a book like Davella's.

Have fun!

Last edited by Dayton on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Dayton.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: