• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Osmun Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Osmun Music Reply with quote

Does anybody know what's going on at Osmun Music? Is it really a one-man shop now, with Bob Osmun being the only employee?
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno (?).

I had a horn worked on there several years ago.
The work was of very good quality ... but, the cost was eye-watering.
Doubt if I shall return.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several horns worked on at Osmun and thought all the prices were consistent with the quality of work.

But that doesn't answer the OP's question. Why do you ask it, OP? They look well and alive to me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
thehedge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by Osmun earlier this year to have my trumpet cleaned and to look at an occasional noisy vale on my flugelhorn.

For the first time ever -- I have used Osmun for more than 20 years for service -- I met Bob Osmun. He came out of the office, asked me what I wanted done and then looked at the flugelhorn himself -- and sid if you do this --- the valves will be quieter.

He then handed my trumpet off to someone int he back room for cleaning/servicing. After a few hours, I got the call that it was ready and went back to pick it up. This time, was greeted by someone else.

I asked a few questions about the cleaning, whether they saw any issues which will need addressing, what they used for valve oil, etc -- to make sure I was using something compatible.

His answers were not very satisfying --- just used "regular valve oil" and "nothing was written down so I guess it's okay".

I asked to talk with the technician -- Jim Becker ALWAYS came out and talked with me after each visit. Answer was "no - they're not available."

Wasn't what I was used to with Osmun. May have just been one "off day" but I'd like to hear what others are thinking now that Jim (and Tim) have left.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned of a troubling trend here on this forum.

Most posters seem to recommend the SAME TWO-or-THREE horn repair service technicians, over-and-over and over-and-over, ad naseum, Yada-Yada-Yada.

Surely (!) there are others, with fine credentials and experience. No?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry at the Horn Shop in Fresno, CA has done fine work on my horns

https://www.thehornshop.com/
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
I have learned of a troubling trend here on this forum.

Most posters seem to recommend the SAME TWO-or-THREE horn repair service technicians, over-and-over and over-and-over, ad naseum, Yada-Yada-Yada.

Surely (!) there are others, with fine credentials and experience. No?

There certainly are, but if you are pleased with the work of these three why would you recommend someone you have never used?

Other people are recommended in these pages, it's just that they crop up on a particular thread and are overlooked afterwards. There is no, to my knowledge, central location, or "sticky", that accumulates these listings.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehedge wrote:
I stopped by Osmun earlier this year to have my trumpet cleaned and to look at an occasional noisy vale on my flugelhorn.

For the first time ever -- I have used Osmun for more than 20 years for service -- I met Bob Osmun. He came out of the office, asked me what I wanted done and then looked at the flugelhorn himself -- and sid if you do this --- the valves will be quieter.

He then handed my trumpet off to someone int he back room for cleaning/servicing. After a few hours, I got the call that it was ready and went back to pick it up. This time, was greeted by someone else.

I asked a few questions about the cleaning, whether they saw any issues which will need addressing, what they used for valve oil, etc -- to make sure I was using something compatible.

His answers were not very satisfying --- just used "regular valve oil" and "nothing was written down so I guess it's okay".

I asked to talk with the technician -- Jim Becker ALWAYS came out and talked with me after each visit. Answer was "no - they're not available."

Wasn't what I was used to with Osmun. May have just been one "off day" but I'd like to hear what others are thinking now that Jim (and Tim) have left.

My question after reading your post would be: "Did the horn play/function as well or better than before?" I didn't get the sense you were unhappy with the work, just the reception.

Some guys doing the work are more taciturn than others. I had a pleasant conversation w/Mr. Becker at the repair clinic I attended last weekend; he is very personable. But the new person at Osmun may be snowed under w/work in that very well-known shop and desperate to keep up.

Just saying from the "I've been there" perspective.
https://yourbrass.com/
thehedge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:

My question after reading your post would be: "Did the horn play/function as well or better than before?" I didn't get the sense you were unhappy with the work, just the reception.

Some guys doing the work are more taciturn than others. I had a pleasant conversation w/Mr. Becker at the repair clinic I attended last weekend; he is very personable. But the new person at Osmun may be snowed under w/work in that very well-known shop and desperate to keep up.

Just saying from the "I've been there" perspective.

Yes, I agree. I was happy with the work and my horn played well after being cleaned/serviced.

As I wrote, "Wasn't what I was used to with Osmun. May have just been one "off day" but I'd like to hear what others are thinking now that Jim (and Tim) have left."

The staff may have been having one of those days or, as you mentioned, some may just not be good (yet) with the customer interface aspect.

Also, there were many times that the conversation that I had with Jim or Tim when picking up my horn after a cleaning, led to extra sales (Valve Oil or once even a new mouthpiece), which I think would be good for Osmun, as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: