• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coming back after 35 + years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmaudlin wrote:
Feel kind of weird going to a teacher at the age of 59

My teacher for years always had students both very young and quite senior. You should be able to find a right minded teacher if you look.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Rdljr63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:52 am    Post subject: Buddy rich and South Georgia college Reply with quote

My father was assistant Dean of students and was the one who got rich there! Id love to connect about this. I was there as well.

Isn't it amazing how a singular experience like that can stay with you for your entire life? As a high school freshman I was able to hear the Buddy Rich Big Band live with several of my "band geek" friends. South Georgia College, Douglas GA. How they came to stop and put on a show there is still mind-numbing to me... the gymnasium was packed with band kids from across the area. My drummer friend surreptitiously made a cassette recording and we wore that thing out, re-living the evening.[/quote]
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH. Tell us about your recent playing experiences... how long were you "off?" Any group opportunities where you currently live?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. Some advice -
1. Get a better practice chair - no - really. Something like a "task chair" would do as long as you can adjust the back and height and allow you to sit in an upright position with lower back support. (At 75, I always thought my chops would give out first - wrong.)

2. See your eye doctor for a pair of glasses optimized for the distance from your eye to the music stand - 32" or so. Take music along for the test. Perhaps you will not need glasses - but a lot of older players do. (Get the anti-reflective coating.)

3. Look at improved lighting.

4. Avoid prolonged and really loud playing above the staff for the first year or so. Your technique will come back much sooner than underlying muscle strength so don't get sucked into playing first chair in a band for a while. Ensembles need strong 2nd and 3rd players - not just first chair players.

Uncharacteristically for me, I have no comment on your mouthpiece or trumpets - they seem to be working.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back after a 12, 13 year layoff in my forties, so much younger than some of you seem to restart. In spite of this, even at 42ish and in decent physical shape it took a while to build up the physical side of trumpet playing again. So, go slow, don’t try to be Maynard or Arturo (at least for a little bit ).

I’d definitely get a teacher — I have a lot of fun with mine. We’re both into modern jazz and also into gear, so beyond music I also learn a lot about cool horns (and get to try some out). It’s very useful to have someone hearing you play and showing things that go into hearing chords, looking at phrasing and articulation, and so on. One of the best things I learned from him is a clever way of practicing and to make efficient use of limited time besides work, family, and whatnot.

Also, most definitely make sure to have proper glasses and good lights with you. Someone else suggested this already and for me this has been a key change — with proper glasses and lighting I can actually focus on the music.

Finally (haha …): try to not go on a safari of any kind (horns, mouthpieces, mutes, gigbags, …) too early

Of course, I’d find a band to play. Also listen to as much music as you can — active listening, not just background music, has helped tremendously in my understanding of musical contexts, phrasing, attacks, dynamics, interplay between sections, etc. etc.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:

2. See your eye doctor for a pair of glasses optimized for the distance from your eye to the music stand - 32" or so. Take music along for the test. Perhaps you will not need glasses - but a lot of older players do. (Get the anti-reflective coating.)

heh... my progressive bifocals seemed to work ok until my high school had an alumni participation at a football game. Try as I might, I could not get focused on the normal "lyre" distance. And, of course, if I titled my head to get the focus, it messed up my embouchure. The final solution was to print out all the stand music and hold it at (left) arms length, using right arm to hold the horn and finger. Fortunately I had memorized the national anthem and the one on field number they had us play!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: